Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

160305-windows-phone-connector-2_500.png

As reported earlier this month, Microsoft has released software allowing Mac users to synchronize media with a Windows Phone 7 device. Microsoft had held a media event earlier this month to officially unveil its Windows Phone 7 operating system along with several handsets to be available over the next few months through a number of carriers.

Now available from the Windows Download Center, the application requires Mac OS 10.5 Leopard or higher and provides the following functionality:

Windows Phone 7 Connector lets your syncronize your favorite music, videos, photos and podcasts from iTunes and iPhoto to your Windows Phone 7, so you can take your media with you wherever you go.

Though no mention is made in the description for the beta Connector application, it's unlikely that any DRM-protected content purchased from the iTunes Store can be synchronized to a Windows Phone 7 device.

Article Link: Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac Beta Now Available

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ooohhh so exciting..

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's only a matter of time before Apple puts a stop to the iTunes synching like they did to Palm..

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
So, Microsoft can write software to sync iTunes files, so long as it isn't actually using the iTunes app (a la what Palm did?) This is all Palm needed to do to avoid all that controversy?

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Steve just jumped from the free throw line and into his office to shut this sh** down!!!!!!

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

It's only a matter of time before Apple puts a stop to the iTunes synching like they did to Palm..

So, Microsoft can write software to sync iTunes files, so long as it isn't actually using the iTunes app (a la what Palm did?) This is all Palm needed to do to avoid all that controversy?

Correct. Apple has no way whatsoever to restrict the device from accessing your iTunes library outside of locking the files out by DRM to an iDevice, which they don't do.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Good.

But I can't imagine too many Mac users having the Windows Phone over the iPhone.

But for the people that do, this is nice

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX

Apple allows plenty of non Apple devices to sync with iTunes

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I actually hope this works well. Apple needs more competition to keep them on their toes, and I welcome this possibility. I glanced through the article, and my understanding is that this will allow Windows Mobile 7 to sync via iTunes? Did not Palm attempt this a while back and was brutally rebuffed by Apple after numerous attempts? I thought the iTunes application/store was a closed system for Apple products only.

Apple allows plenty of non Apple devices to sync with iTunes

Really? I did not know this, and I work in IT (major FAIL on my part). I thought only iDevices were allowed to sync via iTunes. Palm Pre attempted to but Apple blocked their attempts. What non-Apple devices can sync via iTunes?

Correct. Apple has no way whatsoever to restrict the device from accessing your iTunes library outside of locking the files out by DRM to an iDevice, which they don't do.

Wow, egg on my face. I had no idea! So why did Palm attempt it the "hard" way?

So in short, you can access your Media through this MS Beta without going through iTunes? Yet it syncs everything as iTunes does, contacts/email/bookmarks/media... Hmmmm.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Good.

But I can't imagine too many Mac users having the Windows Phone over the iPhone.

But for the people that do, this is nice

Hey, I wonder if Melinda Gates will use iTunes on her Win7 box now?
Or will her children make her use a Zune. LOL.

"Nothing Apple crosses our doorstep." (NY Times 10/24/10) :apple:

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
i would like to know how many mac users actually have windows phones... the numbers are probably staggering.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
All the smug replies aside - this is awesome for the eventual Windows Phone 7 users. Does it sync with the Zune as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.