Windows Phone 8.1 Adds Support for Apple's Passbook Passes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 14, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Microsoft has added support for Apple's Passbook passes in Windows Phone 8.1, which was released today as a developer preview. Microsoft announced this latest version of Windows Phone earlier this month and equipped the mobile OS with digital assistant and Siri competitor, Cortana.

As noticed by Tom Warren of The Verge and reported by iMore, Microsoft has created a method that takes the data from a Passbook file and converts it into a card that is imported into Microsoft Wallet.
    It is not known whether Microsoft's system is operating independently of Apple or if the Redmond company has an agreement to convert the data to its own wallet. The service may not support iOS-specific features like Passbook updates and notifications, but the importing of data is apparently accurate.
    Passbook debuted in 2012 and was one of the major new apps bundled in iOS 6. The digital wallet permitted companies to store tickets, loyalty cards, coupons, gift cards and more in a centralized location on a user's iPhone and iPod touch. Apple has continued to update the service, allowing third-party apps to create Passbook passes and adding support for gift cards.

Article Link: Windows Phone 8.1 Adds Support for Apple's Passbook Passes

2. macrumors 6502

Illusion986

That's good news with passbook support. More phones use it more locations will incorporate it.

3. macrumors 68040

D.T.

The MS and Apple love fest continues!

Next up: MS Cloud services replaces iCloud ...

4. macrumors member

Hopefully with wider spread use more places will embrace passbook and replace giftcards/tickets for christmas/birthdays into passbook equivalencies. saving me from constantly forgetting about the gift cards I left at home!

5. macrumors member

afin

Interesting. Never realized it was a file type. Also surprised that apple doesn't rule over it with an iron fist.

6. macrumors newbie

I wonder if this has anything to do with Delta Airlines (original supporters of Passbook) moving from iOS devices to Windows Phone devices...

7. macrumors 603

Isn't it already? Gruber's using it in his app, and even stars in a promotional video for Microsoft about it.

8. macrumors 6502

Just like with iBeacon devices and BT, there is nothing preventing others from reading the data from Passbook passes.

9. Daalseth, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

macrumors 6502

Target Market

Now Passbook passes, something that's been utterly useless where I live, is available on a Windows Phone, when I'd rather play blind-mans bluff on the freeway rather than use a WinPhone.

It's like they know me.:D

10. macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's "Passbook support." It seems to me that it simply takes Passbook data and copies it into Microsoft Wallet. I don't think they'll be syncing with each other (although this isn't known right now).

It seems that Apple's complacency with Passbook has given Microsoft Wallet an edge in being the standard used in mobile wallets unless Apple reveals their long-rumoured mobile payment system and improve Passbook with iOS 8.

11. macrumors newbie

I hope it becomes kind of a open file type like iCal

12. macrumors 6502a

dugbug

File this under "unexpected"

13. macrumors 6502

I think it's just HTML, CSS, and JavaScript data in a file.

14. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I have never even seen passbook in action, in any situation. Evidently, I fly on the wrong airlines, take the wrong taxis and drink the wrong coffee.

15. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

iCloud runs off of Windows Microsoft Azure, but I think OP meant [strikeSkyDrive[/s] OneDrive and Xbox Live.

16. macrumors 6502

kemal

Good. Make it the de facto standard.

... But then, what if the MS version feels snappier?

17. macrumors newbie

Actually, Apple use Microsoft Azure and Amazon for some iCloud services,
    You can see it on your mac using Little Snitch or HandOff.

18. macrumors 6502

Maybe, but you also have to have actually allowed those passes to be added to PassBook. Some I get updated via a local app, like Starbucks, and others I get as an email attachment, like with an airline. Each pop up on my lock screen ready for me to slide access them when I'm within range. It's really very handy.

19. macrumors 65816

Didn't realize Passbook was open source just like FaceTiLOLOLOL

20. macrumors 603

Really sad Apple changed their minds about that. FaceTime would be so much more useful if everyone had it.

21. macrumors 68040

D.T.

I mean totally outsourced to MS, from infrastructure to implementation! :D

Then MS abandons phone hardware ... Bing becomes the default search, Office gets pre-bundled on iPads! iTunes in the Windows distro! Wooo!

22. macrumors 65816

Case in point, Google Hangouts is available on iOS, Android and desktops. It just is a more complete text/video option that has the ability to have a larger audience.

23. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

I'm okay with this.

I mean...I don't know anybody with a Windows phone but simple interoperability is probably encouraging to businesses at least.

24. macrumors 68000

ghostface147

Not a bad deal. MS and Apple have pretty solid licensing agreements. Samsung should take note...

25. iolinux333, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

macrumors 68000

This.

I've started using Hangouts on my iPhone 'cause everyone else is starting to use it. I've *never* used Facetime. (facepalm for you, Apple)

Apple needs to open up their stuff or they're going right back to the '90s where I abandoned them for almost 20 years. The only thing that brought me back to an Apple product was that my MBAir can dual boot to Windows. When Apple laptops and desktops could run Apple software only, there was zero reason for me to spend money their way.

I only went to iPhone after checking that various Apps I *needed* including several Google and Microsoft apps were there, and also that Android users would have no trouble from what was happening at my end. I now need Android users to be able to see my iCloud stuff, and apple isn't letting that happen. I'm going to have to shift back away from iOS and iCloud and to something that more people use unless Apple lets some Android/Windows access pronto.