Windows Problem with Host...."Not Writable"

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fuzion11, Feb 21, 2011.

1. fuzion11, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

macrumors 65816

fuzion11

When I download and open tinyumbrella it opens with an error message which says Host are not writable.

A while back I messed up my host file so I searched online and found a "Host file fix" from Microsoft, that from what I understood put the host file back to default. I can restore with Apple fine during the signing procedure but not sure if I wanted to downgrade my firmware via Cydia I'd be able to now due to the fact I can't alter my host file. Which I'm pretty sure also means TU can't alter the host file either.

I've attached a picture of the error message for all to view.

Does anyone have any clue as to how I can fix this issue? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS...and then when I go into Note pad as Admin and try to open the host file to see if I can rewrite it...I get the second error message saying to check the spelling and try again.

Any help guys??

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

And you're sure you're running TU as an Administrator, logged on as an Adminstrator on the Windows box?

3. macrumors newbie

Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc", right click on the hosts file and select properties. Make sure the box next to Read-only is unchecked. Click Apply, OK and try it again.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Which one would you suggest doing that to?

Attached Files:

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Well I opened every one under properties and every one had the box beside read only unchecked.

Now what?

6. macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

You smart Sonofa*itch!! haha changing the umbrella file to Hosts seemed to work great. Now when I open TU I don't get the error message anymore!

Thanks so much buddy!!

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

One more question....at the bottom of hosts file it says the following:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Does that mean if I wanted to downgrade my firmware Cydia would sign the firmware and trick iTunes into thinking Apple signed it??

Also with that at the bottom of my hosts file....if I wanted to just do a clean restore with iTunes and have them sign it would I need to delete that line item and replace it with another line item to connect to Apple??

Please advise!

9. macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Yes you're absolutely right, if you want to restore your iPhone using the SHSH blobs Cydia has stored for you - you must have 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com in your HOSTS-file.

If you for some reason want to do a clean Restore, just as Apple wants it to be, you either comment out that line from your HOSTS-file (by making it read #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com) or just delete the line completely

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

So if I want to restore with Cydia just keep host file as is...but if I want to restore with Apple all I have to do is put the # in front of the 74.??

That's how I'm understanding the last part of your last post??

Thanks for all your help!

11. macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

12. thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Okay that's great...thanks again! Although I don't really understand why the # sign would make the signing process change from Apple to Cydia....but hey, what I don't know won't hurt me right! lol

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I think I understand now...if you place a # in front of 74. it "comments out" which means it'll ignore the line, which is Cydias servers and send it to Apple's servers.

14. macrumors newbie

i dont get it can u guys post pictures of what u did thx

15. macrumors newbie

error 3194./host not writeable

my ipad has recently gone to the grave after or during a itunes restore and upgrade to 6.0.1, it said connect to itunes (with that cable pointing to the itunes logo) so i did some research on why it was not connecting to itunes after recieving the error 3194. I find out that i needed to fix my host file in order to restore my ipad using itunes or tinyumberla, the only problem was that i did fix it and rewrite the file to this

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost

it still not only says that the host is unwritable but now my ipad wont be recognized in my computer or itunes for some reason :'(

PLEASE HELPPP