Windows Question...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jmsait19, Aug 13, 2006.

1. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2004
    I don't belong to any Windows Forums, and I don't consider it to be worth my time to join one, plus y'all here probably know more anyway, so here goes...

At my work we have two instances of Hog 3PC running on separate machines. This is a lighting console run off of a PC with external controllers connected via USB.

One of the systems runs pretty poorly, always locking up, and not functioning well, but one runs great. I am guessing that the one that runs poorly is at a loss for system resources...

My question is, does a "bare-bones" version of windows exist? One without all of the bloat crap that defines windows and its performance? If so, how would I go about acquiring it? Would the software work on it? These computers are solely for the use of running the lighting console so losing Microsoft Hearts and Backgammon wouldn't be much of a loss. They are already running on XP Pro I believe...

Anyone who can help? If not, is there a better place to post this??

2. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Do you have the XP install disks? And does one of the PCs have a CD burner?

You can create your own install disk (legally by the way) by copying the contents of the install disk to the PC hard disk, then use - with this, you can pick and choose what to include. It notifies you if you try to remove a necessory component and will result in a bootable iso that you can burn to a CD.
  3. jmsait19 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2004
    Hmm... Very interesting. That could be good.

But I thought there was a version of windows that they use on hardware that runs on windows but its embedded or something. Like a digital sound console for instance. They would run on windows, but it isn't full windows. Its something built just to run one particular software program and that's it, no chatting, no nothing.

I don't know, just trying to figure out why this machine runs like dog...