Windows Questions ???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by VegetaPunk, Sep 20, 2003.

1. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

For you windows gurus out there... I could use a little help.

Im using W2Kp as my OS... I have all my updates but should I be using XP is it better then W2K now?? my PC friend seems to think it is but hes been wrong about things before....

1) How do you put this thing to sleep!?!?! I have tried two things (standby mode) it seems to do the trick but the fans keep going. :( Then I saw Hibernation mode, BIG MISTAKE, I set it up and then when into hibernation mode... My computer wouldnt wake up and so I had to power down only to find that I had to redo my Bios settings....

2) I downloaded AD-Aware and ran it, it found some things and I told it to fix them.... I still get pop ups even when Im not surfing the net... message boxes randomly pop up :mad: how do I stop this:confused:

3) I used a hub to share a cable connection when I lived with my parents they had an iMac and I had my g4 tower.... now that same hub freaks out when I try doing this same thing with my tower and PC, Im assuming that I need a router now but I wanted to double check.....

thanks in advance for all of your help :)

2. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

I like Xp. Mainly it seems that MS is ditching all their other OSes (even win2K) because of exclusive XP standards (like wmp9).

1)Sleep should be in the Energy Saver dialog in the screen saver box. That is, if your mobo supports it

2)There should be an update from MS to stop that

3)hmmmm, Windows machines are usually manuel (esp. Win2000) when it comes to networking. There should be some docs on the internet about it. GOooooooooGLE!

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i like xp a whole lot more. it has just been very reliable for me and crashes as much as my mac os x machiens, which is next to none. only problem is, is like any windows when something bad does go wrong its hard to recover from it. as for hibernation mode, what it does is saves your current state in the system and shuts off the computer. and instead of starting the computer back up normally ,it just brings you right back to where you were. its very similar to the save state in virtual pc if you have ever used it.

iJon

4. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

I hate XP's USB management though. Always saying "Hey, we found your Hardware" or when you which the device to a different bus, you're required to reinstall the drivers.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

hmm i never have those problems, but of course we all know, with windows for every person who doesnt have a problem with windows (i hate it, but it works) there is like a million people who hate it and have problems with it.

iJon

6. VegetaPunk thread starter macrumors 6502

I updated everything and I still have the problem :( I think i am going to get XP and give it a try hopefully with better results :rolleyes:

7. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

On my old Windows XP laptop, I used Hiberation mode mostly but sometimes it didn't turn back on all the time, there must have been a software error or conflict, otherwise standby mode was good as well, but again it didn't always turn on; pressing the power button usually turned it back on. Once you newly install Windows XP it should work fine, but when you install programs things may go wrong, I believe Microsoft need to work on this area, they are nearly there!

8. acj macrumors 6502

The sleep problem often has to do with incompatable (read super cheap) cases and power supplies, and/or motherboards.

Get the google toolbar as a popup blocker. Google is king. And you can search without going to google.com

9. Independence macrumors regular

Re: Windows Questions ???

are you running any programs that contain adware? if not, continue reading.

some spammers use popups that are sent with the microsoft messenger (not windows messenger or msn messenger) service. i've posted a correction for that here under the name Predator16. hope that helps.