Windows Remote Desktop Connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tom3097, Dec 14, 2005.

1. tom3097 macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2005
    I recently got a new iMac G5 and have been try to access my old Windows Box using Remote Desktop Connection.

However its not working, is there a simple thing that i am missing? :(
  2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    more information would be needed to answer your question.

is the computer turned on?

are the correct log in options configured?

the term "it is not working" is a very general term...
  3. tom3097 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2005
    Thanks redAPPLE but i figured out what was wrong.

The PC i want to access remotely is not running XP Pro.
  4. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2004
    Use RealVNC instead

Hey Tom, I wanted to do the exact same thing a few months back. What I had to do in the end was download RealVNC for the PC (which is free) and Chicken of the VNC for the Mac. I set it up and it works flawlessly! The image is a little laggey because I use the wireless connection on my mac, but it still works.

An even better solution (and the one that I use now) is to run RealVNC on the PC the same way, and then use a program call X to X on the Mac which lets me move my mouse off of my Mac desktop, right on to the PC desktop (I have two monitors side by side). It works a lot like synergy, but I could never get synergy to work properly. Hope this helps.

Sorry for not posting any links, but if you do a google search for any of those programs they will be in the top few listings.
  5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
  6. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2005
    Ya I realy like RealVNC and make heavy use of it myself expecialy because its multiplatform working on mac, linux, windows, what have you. I dont even use microsofts remote desktop crap anymore :p
  7. tom3097 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2005
    Thanks just as you recommended this i found the RealVNC site, its good like you said, but slow over the wireless connection i have.

Still allright just to check up on it.