Windows running my car? N0000000!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CubaTBird, Oct 21, 2004.

1. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

A whole new meaning to the blue screen of death. That is scary.

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

3. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I would never buy a piece of s**t car with Windows on it! :mad: If I had no choice, I'd find some way hack it and put some kind of small *nix (or MacOS :D) on it.

4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Windows will never control the basic functions of a car. It is for accessories.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The BMW story was bogus. The car that wouldn't open was several years old, no software involved in the door problem.

The airport shutdown story did really happen though.

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

People will start writing virus, trojans, worms ... in less than a month.
    Other will hack it and install linux, apple will say that there is no market for it and they won't touch that sector, but they will include a device where you have your iCal and address book, iPhoto &, of course, itunes for you on the road, Mac os road... :cool:

-The car will only work on roads made by MS :mad: :p
    -Oil or Fuel failure will be interpreted as general error and you will have to reinstall the drivers for the engine. :eek:
    -In case of emergency, the auto will display a message : "Are you sure to use the airbag, right now? <y/n>" :rolleyes:

8. J.Allen macrumors member

9. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I'm wincing about the idea of having WinCE anywhere near my car -- we have enough car problems as is, with the fear of the '99 Taurus spring problem.

Windows CE is what powers the PocketPC PDAs, which seem to crash a lot more than Palms for some reason.

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Funny that just before reading this thread I stumbled upon this:

[​IMG]

11. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Glad to see it is just for accessories, but I still don't want anything 'Winblows' in my vehicle. Can you imagine paying $60,000-100,000 for a "premium" vehicle and having the navigation system crash, or having intermittent problems with your phone connection?

Thanks, but no, thanks!
    :mad:

12. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Are you sure it was not a Mac advertising? :)

You had to wait after the blue screen and the "get a Mac" ...

but now that you talk about this...

It's from the computer in one bus -yes, I was there-, it should guide the people where to get out, but... it's windows... :), you know!

Attached Files:

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Windows? No idea.. but computer controls in cars suck!

The BCM (Body Control Module?) on my Jeep just crashed and burned on Sunday (Oct 17th). With it dead, I had no Speedometer, no headlights, no wipers, no interior lights, no power locks, no remote keyless entry, poor shifting, and a host of other things.

It took 4 days to get it fixed, the dealership had to order a replacement BCM from DaimlerChrysler that was specifically tailored for my Jeep.

Thanksfully it was under warranty, I'm guessing a replacement BCM for an out of warranty car is expen$$$ive!

14. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

That's harsh! I sometimes wonder about all this high tech stuff on automobiles. I mean, NO HEADLIGHTS?!?! :eek:

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Seriously. And no speedometer, and as luck would have it, on my way to the dealership on Monday morning, I had an unmarked cop behind me on the highway. I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem to get out of a ticket (I didn't get one), but sheesh.

Thankfully brakelights and clinkers worked. And the stereo. :)

16. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Some fun excerpts from the c|net article:

Gotta love the obligatory "tech-demo snafu".

The question being, of course, if Apple will sell out to Microsoft and adopt WMA.

Well, there's one relief.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Well if it is just accessories then we still have a choice. Have no interest in a navigation system or entertainment center.

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i agree with the whole computers-in-cars suck thing... my car is one of the first with an onboard computer module that simply interprets a sensor network and makes decisions accordingly... so far, all it's done for me is cost money. They charge a fee to read the error output messages (can only be done with proprietary Chevy computer hookup) even if I already know what the problem is... plus, failures in the sensor network cause huge problems, i had a defective temperature sensor somewhere in my engine that would report temps WAY too high, so the computer would disable the engine by cutting fuel while you're driving. Which created quite a mystery the first time it happened. 33 sensors that fail more often than the parts they're monitoring.

admittedly this is an early attempt, but i still think the technology isn't there to have a computer totally run your car. Of course, with the advent of electric/hybrid cars, computers become a necessity, and do have a lot of benefits. so long as windows isn't running it.

paul

19. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

"Excuse me sir, I can't get my car to start, nothing works whats wrong with it?"
    Guy looks at it... "oh you have windows integrated into it. Lets see... its the primary function of this vehicle"
    "Well... whats wrong with it?"
    "The OS seems to have crashed... we're not trained in this sort of field... You're going to have to purchase a new car"
    "But my husband said it was probably just a broken window. I don't see any cracks"
    "He's talking about Windows - Microsofts windows. Yeah its broke alright, but until we know what we're doing here, just purchase a new car"
    -----------------
    How could this have been avoided? Not using Windows.

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

How would I do Ctl-Alt-Del on my car for the task manager?

Horn-hazard-gas?
    Radio-wipers-highbeam?

21. VIREBEL661 macrumors regular

You gotta be kidding

NOOOOO WAAAAYYY would I purchase a car that ran freakin' windoze for the electronic systems!

I believe proprietary embedded systems are the way to go for this kind of technology (and preferably a totally solid state solution - no hard drives, etc.). It would be a real drag to have to narrow your focus on what car to buy because a certain manufaturer decides to go with ms or whatever. Imagine them pulling their monopoly tricks with your CAR. Can't play certain cd's - and it'll register remotely what cd's you were playing, or worse, your total driving habits - speed etc.... I know there's already this kind of thing going on with some rental car companies - just really scary. Another step closer to a capitalist police state - m$'s ultimate goal - to be in charge of it all...

22. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Gee, but if I build the car myself then it'll be stable, right? :rolleyes:

23. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Thanks yellow, that cracked me up! :p

24. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

So ...
    What happens to the car as the registry deteriorates?
    Does the car slow down?
    Does it become less stable on the road?

Do we get pop-up ads on the speedo?