Windows runs smooth?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ejewels52, Sep 13, 2006.

1. ejewels52 macrumors member

Hello-
    I am getting a mac pro soon with 2 gb of RAM. I was wondering how Windows runs on a Mac in general? How is gaming using windows on a mac? Is it slower than if it was on a PC?

2. Videographer macrumors member

It runs silky smooth! :cool: It ALMOST seems more repsponsive than the mac side actually. Like I just built a smokin' PC and loaded up windows.
    Performance of the 7300 card is also not as bad as I thought it would be. I run Half-Life 2 pretty well with everything maxed out. It does dip down quite a bit when I get to large open spaces or places w/ a lot of water (20ish fps). But it works for me.

3. ejewels52 thread starter macrumors member

oh, i thought i heard that the PC games don't run as well?

4. Kunimodi macrumors member

They run beautifully, though the FBDIMM's are less well suited towards games than DDR/DDR2 memory. It's server memory, but maybe with more multicore oriented games its pedigree will come in handy.

5. RipFire macrumors newbie

I've been a PC gamer for years, and I can tell you that the Pro with a X1900 is smoking! I just got mine today so I'm in the process of getting some benchmarks, but the fact that I can run some pretty high end Games such as Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter at 1920x1200 with everything turned up makes me pretty dang satisfied.

Plus running Quake 4 version 1.2 or higher is a must, it's one of the games that supports duel cores, hot knife through butter, it can't get any smoother!

6. ejewels52 thread starter macrumors member

are u guys running the games on the mac, or the windows version?

7. RipFire macrumors newbie

Due to the lack of choices, the games I play are on the Windows side.

8. Doctor Suarez macrumors newbie

These success stories are very encouraging.

Did you all achieve these performance highs after fixing the SATA issue by using the slipstreamed disc, or is it working like this with only the standard Boot Camp install?

9. Wintrmte macrumors regular

My windows runs very, very smooth. I was only able to achieve that by using the Slipstream method of installing, though.

10. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

don't forget you'll need a 64bit version of Windows on a Mac Pro... and I guess allso 64bit versions of all your other software, but I'm not sure about that last one...

11. Doctor Suarez macrumors newbie

Hey, I'd heard from numerous sources that you need a 64-bit version of XP, but someone on here had a thread stating that x64 was much more complicated to install than the standard 32-bit versions. Is this true, or is it basically the same process?

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Can you not run the 32 bit Windows on 64 bit processors? I was under the impression the processors would adapt to the threads they are required to process...

13. Doctor Suarez macrumors newbie

It's not that the OS won't run, it's that if you spent the money to have two CPUs in your computer, you want a version of Windows that will utilize both of them. Running XP home on a Mac Pro will work, but it will only use one of the two CPUs.

14. abarakat macrumors newbie

true that if you want to take advantage of the 64bit processor you will need xp 64 but windows xp pro runs very well on the mac pro and recognize all the 4 cores.
    and it is the one supported by boot camp i don't know how hard it will be installing the win xp 64 but any way in the windows realm there is only few softwares that run 64 bit, so i don't see need for the hasle except if you want to run any high end 3d animation package that support 64 bit

15. Doctor Suarez macrumors newbie

Wait, so the non-x64 version of XP pro recognizes all four CPU cores? I wasn't aware that was possible.

But since 64-bit apps are not part of my windows needs, that's great news.

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Yes lets not confuse multi-core and 64bit. A 32bit copy of Windows XP will be fine and both will utilize multiple cores.