Windows Shared Printer - No Driver

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by chaik, Oct 30, 2003.

1. chaik macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2003
    Well - I've been reading these forums for a while, and finally my first message.

I'm setting up my new Alum-PB-15 with Panther, and trying to get my HP Deskjet 6122 set up through Panther's windows printer sharing utility. I can find the printer without problem through the Add Printer utility, but I can't seem to find a driver for my printer. The "Generic" driver seems to print some garbled text, and there is no driver for the printer in the listing. Of course, this printer driver is installed on the system (plugging the printer in by USB works like a charm).

I contacted Apple, and their response was, "if it's not in that list, and works by USB, it's not our problem. There are two many third-party variables to troubleshoot." The tech didn't seem to like my logic about this being an issue specific to Panther.

In any case, any thoughts on how to get a printer driver listed for Windows Printing? Any other options?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
  3. chaik thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2003
    From what the tech at apple told me, printer manufacturers don't have to release new drivers - it should be seamless. In line with that, HP said this is Apple's problem. Are we saying, then, that it will indeed by up to HP to create a special driver that supports this type of mac-windows sharing? Or is that just speculation?
  4. slowtreme macrumors 6502

May 27, 2003
    Tampa FL
    I had hoped 10.3 was going to be my printing holy grail. I have a Xerox multifunction connected as a network printer to one of my windows boxes, but I can't print to it from my Macs. I thought that I would be able to just send postscript files to it and it would print.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I can map the printer, and send jobs, but the printer spools the job and then nothing. no print, not even a form feed.
  5. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2003
    I've had some trouble printing from Word. Everything looks ok, but nothing out of the printer.
    I tried a print option drop down box "Error handling". This doesn't appear on all printers, it appears for HP 8100 printers. But select detail error report. Mine would print out a single page stating some kind of font error.
    Hope this helps