Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Here's my problem. I'm on a college network, and I've got some, well lets just say, 100% legal educational files ;) shared out on the campus network using SMB. I set up the shares with SharePoints and allowed Windows guests. The permissions I used on share points was to allow me, the admin, to do everything, and everyone else to just be able to read. Unfortunatley, the permissions aren't working. On my roommate's XP computer, I connected to mine. I was unable to delete directories, however, I could go in and delete individual files-bad. Is there any way to make sure they're 100% read only? Thanks

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Man, I can't even figure out how to allow my friends to get INTO my system. Last year, my friends couldn't see me on the network, although I could see them. And now, they can see me, but when they click on my name on the network, it asks for a password......and I know I didn't set one. I even tried my system admin password, and nuthin. :(

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Abstract said:
And now, they can see me, but when they click on my name on the network, it asks for a password......and I know I didn't set one. I even tried my system admin password, and nuthin. :(
Did you try submitting a blank one?

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Abstract said:
Man, I can't even figure out how to allow my friends to get INTO my system. Last year, my friends couldn't see me on the network, although I could see them. And now, they can see me, but when they click on my name on the network, it asks for a password......and I know I didn't set one. I even tried my system admin password, and nuthin. :(

Depending on what systems I use I get the same problem and have never been able to figure out the solution to this. If anyone knows I would love to hear it.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
London, England
mrzeve said:
Depending on what systems I use I get the same problem and have never been able to figure out the solution to this. If anyone knows I would love to hear it.

You guys need to setup a new ID on your Mac for all the Windows users to login to. Then, you need to set file permissions on the files and fodlers you want to share with them, right click each file and go to Get Info. Then, you need to enable Windows Sharing from the Sharing prefs pane. Let me know how you get on.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
nsheikh80 said:
You guys need to setup a new ID on your Mac for all the Windows users to login to. Then, you need to set file permissions on the files and fodlers you want to share with them, right click each file and go to Get Info. Then, you need to enable Windows Sharing from the Sharing prefs pane. Let me know how you get on.

Sorry I guess I wasnt specific enough. I meant for people who were trying to connect to my Windows box from either a Mac or from another PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.