Windows so broken, M$ preempt own scheduled patch release date

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Marky_Mark, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2005
  2. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    You've never gotten something before it was scheduled to arrive?

Give me a break. The development and testing went faster than they thought it would.
  3. rasp macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2005
    Easthampton, MA

I think a more likely reason would be that they were getting so beat up in *all* of the press over this one, they had to release the patch.
  4. Marky_Mark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2005
    No, read the article properly.

The security flaw is so significant that a privateer was concerned enough to write a patch of his own and then had his website inundated by others trying to download it.

Microsoft take it so seriously they've rushed through the release instead of waiting for Patch Tuesday and pushing it out along with the others. BUT - only after all the major security houses told them not to be so complacent.

'Give me a break' indeed. They've mucked up again. No so much an OS, more a sieve. How can they charge money for this product? It's a joke.
  5. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2004
    They haven't mucked up at all. A hole was found in their OS, which they planned to fix by a certain date. They've brought it out earlier instead because actual examples of this exploitation have been found "in the wild".

Apple too have had issues "fixed" by users before they released a patch in the recent history of OS X - the Paranoid Android plugged one such gap in summer 2004. Apple did nothing wrong then, they patched a bug after a short delay. Microsoft have done the same, except that their delay has been less than they initially said it would be.

Surely this is a good thing?
  6. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    Apple released tiger before the said they we going to(people got it before April 05)
  7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    Yeah, I think it was pretty good of them to patch it early. I don't see what Microsoft has done wrong. Come on, people don't admit it, but Microsoft are clearly catching up to Apple, even XP SP2 isn't that bad. Apple needs to stay one step ahead so Leopard has to be pretty spectacular.
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Still, the situation in which security analysts recommended that corporate installations use the non-MS patch is pretty unusual, isn't it?
  9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The basic argument however, is that the core of Windows is based on technology that allows applications to read, write modify and communicate with other applications in the background without passwords, or user control. Active X, Windows Messenger and all the other technology that Microsoft told us we needed (and didn't give us a choice about) makes a wonderful playground for malware writers.

So Microsoft is locked into a "break and fix" model because the OS inherently CANNOT be secure. The big vulnerability is the delta between an exploit hitting the wild, and the IMPLEMENTATION of the fix by the majority of the Windows population. (A day or three for Microsoft to release a patch is relatively insignificant compared to the millions of net-connected Windows machines out there that haven't had a hotfix for months or years)
  10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I'm tempted to try running the malformed WMF thingamajig in an emulated Windows 3.1 environment. Should be fun if I get my hands on a sufficiently bad WMF.
  11. cait-sith macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2004
    The big problem with Windows technologies is the constant re-inventing of the wheel. Instead of fixing, they just throw away and start again. However, it is profitable for them. Perhaps not maximally profitable, but profitable none the less.

It seems MS is always looking for a "magic bullet" technology that will solve every problem. They end up making things too general to be useful.
  12. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    I think the Windows problem is complacency due to marketshare and "We're the best, screw the rest" attitude that a lot of Windows developers seem to take.

Not that Macheads and Linuxheads don't do this either, but they can admit when (Mac OS X isn't so good for games) or (Linux requires a steep learning curve). The developers of alternate OSes are also more in touch with the computing world (David Hyatt on Surfin' Safari, the coders of Linux). Seems MS OS devs are locked in an ivory tower.