Windows Sound Recognition at its Finest...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ayre, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Ayre macrumors member

2. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

HEHEHE! Why do they bother! Voice recognition is shaky regardless of what program you run! Demoing that is just asking for trouble! In office xp you had to say "Command - Select all" if you say "Select all" it would just write that, like it did!

3. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Didn't Google Video used to have a "save file" (PSP/iPod) feature? :confused:

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Didn't Apple have a voice recognition demo like that in a Keynote for OS 8? But Apple's actually worked....

5. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I think we may an all-new "All your base are belong to us" on our hands... :cool:

6. SteveRichardson macrumors regular

SteveRichardson

My family used to have this headset "speech recognition" program back in the days of Windows 98. You had to actually teach it to recognize your voice by going through these extreme 20 minute long stories it would generate.

The problem was that my dad, unlike the rest of us, was born in england, so his accent totally threw the "calibration" off.

quite a funny sight to see.

7. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Too bad it didn't turn out to be something sensible and funny, not to say that I didn't laugh at that. :p

8. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Haha, that's good.

Most voice recognition software sucks though. Just not nearly as bad as that.

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Wow, now that was funny.

I thought the best part might have been the comment by the desk host at the end when she pointed out that, despite Microsoft's claims of "ambient noise" as being the problem (the new "user error"?), the room was quiet until everybody started laughing. "Live TV is rough--welcome to our world."

Guess once in a rare while there is a media show with some spine.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the trouble is that apple speech recognition only works with a thick californian accent otherwise it won't work for me.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, in fairness, Apple's doesn't even do dictation, does it? And it doesn't work all that flawlessly at commands either. Everytime I've played with it, you can make progress with training, but it ends up being a geek toy.

Dragon is the only one I've ever really heard good things about. It's popular here at the hospital.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And supposedly the latest version doesn't even need training. (there was a recent piece on NPR). It still won't work if it hears two voices at once....

B

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In that case, my dear, it is a good thing that the voices in my head do not speak out loud! ;) :eek: :D

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You hear them too?!?

B

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I think it's up the the uploader to decide whether it's saveable; some other videos have it.

I had a copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking back around the Win 98 era, and it certainly worked better than that demo!

When they announced free digital TV here a while ago, the presenter (6:00 news) said something like "so we have more channels, are we going to get more local shows or just more American rubbish?" :D

16. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

God, the amount of time I've spent yelling "Who's there?" at my computer is unbelievable.

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, turn on speakable items and say "tell me a joke")

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehehe, yes, this is pretty cute. I just turned it on and set the activation keyword to be "computer" so that I could be Jean-Luc Picard. :eek:

18. Vster macrumors 6502

19. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Hmm, I just posted a new thread about this...oh well, its still damn funny no matter what!:p

Cheers

20. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Check your Mic volume. I had the same problem but saw that when the listening was at the red level, it couldn't hear anymore. Now it works perfectly with a normal voice.