Windows Starcraft on Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nermal, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Back in my PC days, I bought a copy of Starcraft. Basically I'm trying to get my Windows version of Starcraft to run on the Mac.

I downloaded the latest Mac updater from Blizzard's site and tried to run the game. It told me that it couldn't find the file "Starcraft Data". So I borrowed a PC, installed SC, and copied the installed version onto my Mac. I grabbed the stardat.mpq file, renamed it to Starcraft Data, and tried running SC again. Now it gets as far as the options screen then asks me to insert the CD. Unfortunately it doesn't recognise the Windows version.

So is it possible to run the Windows version on the Mac? It seems like I'm half way there, maybe if I construct a CD that "looks" like the Mac one it would work? To do this I'd need a list of the files on the CD. Is there a better way? Is it possible at all?

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Windows programs do not run on Macs. Starcraft was pretty quickly switched to a hybrid CD that runs on both though. Do you have a 1.0.0 CD? Those don't work on Macs.

3. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

Dude, SC cost like $10 new, $20 for the entire chest, even less if used. Nearly all of the boxes I have ever seen have been hybred.

Just go EB or whatever game store and pick one up, ok.

4. cubist macrumors 68020

You also need a different updater for the Mac.

5. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

A WINDOWS game will not run on MAC. A hybrid copy of SC is like 10 bucks.

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I thought that since they use the same data files, it would be possible to use the Windows CD with the Mac patches, to make it run on the Mac.

You guys are lucky to be able to pick it up for $10. Cheapest I can find it over here in NZ is $40 :(

Catfish_Man: Yes I do have the 1.0.0 CD.

7. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

$40? even used? Internet?

I'm sorry, but to buy it is the best I could tell you.
    Even at $40 it might be still worth it, how much do you regularly buy a game to only find out that it's mediocre? To re-buy a game that you bought like 6-years ago that you know is one the greatest games ever I think would not be that bad. I've personally have bought SC like 3-4 times because of breakage and stealing, but its up to you if you think its worth it.

BTW how much DO games (new and used) cost down in NZ?

8. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's so expensive because SC doesn't seem to be sold inividually anymore, I can only find the SC and Brood War combo. I looked on a local auction site similar to eBay and it didn't turn up any hits. New games tend to go for around US$50-60. I don't tend to buy used games so I can't really give you a price on them. I think the only used game I've ever bought was Final Fantasy 8 back in 2000, cost me $45. I miss that game but VPC runs it too slow.

On the topic of VPC, Starcraft isn't overly graphically intensive so I'll give it a go. I'd never thought of that until now.

Edit: Just tried to play in VPC, and the game runs very smoothly, and would be very playable, except for one small but important problem: I have to run the game in a window. While this itself isn't a problem, it makes it very difficult to scroll around the levels, as you have to move the mouse to the very edge of the window, without going too far and landing in OS X. It's just too tricky to be playable.

9. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

You can run VPC in Full Screen Mode, so that you won't see OS X at all. It's freaky looking, since it looks like Windows running on a Mac :) but with the game running, it should be more to your liking.

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah Full Screen mode is a plus, now if VPC could only use hardware Viedo Cards, instead of Software based. :(

11. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

If you already own starcraft for windows and legally bought it and have a valid CD key... I don't see anything morally wrong with borrowing a friends copy or getting it by other means... since you already paid for it and they do offer it as a hybrid soon after manufacturing for the same price.

12. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If I run VPC in full screen then Starcraft won't run. Well it runs, I can hear the sound, but can't see the picture. I think this might have something to do with VPC trying to scale Windows to 1024x768 (I'm on an iBook), but Starcraft wants 640x480. I'll try a couple of things and see what happens.

I think one of my friends has got SC, so I'll see if I can borrow his, but with all my luck it'll be a pirated one with the Mac files missing :(

13. Xenophanes macrumors newbie

Actually....

Actually he isn't far off.

You can't run the .exe on a Mac, but you can steal the .mpq files to run the game off of.

Let me explain what I did and how this effects your question.

A long time back Blizzard took it's sweet time putting out the Mac version of BroodWar. I took it upon myself to find a way around their slow release.

I basically had to steal the .mpq which contained the BroodWar Data and replace the Mac patch.mpq with it. This now allowed the Mac StarCraft program to access the data. Fortunately for me Blizzard actually had already updated everyone's StarCraft program to handel the BroodWar Data... the only thing we were missing at the time was the .mpq. Unfortunately Blizzard decided to make it so the StarCraft application (this was for OS 9 at the time) check for the BroodWar CD. I then burned a CD which had the proper file structure (stealing from the PC BroodWarCD) and the proper name.

Guess what. It worked. An article was published on MacGamer describing how I was able to do it. Shortly after that Blizzard sent me an email telling me to stop spreading the word and Mac BroodWar was released about two weeks afterwards.

I had played through the entire BroodWar campaign before Mac BroodWar was released.

So.... your question.... is it possible to use the Windows StarCraft to 'build a Mac StarCraft'? The answer is yes, but it is difficult.

You will need all of the data files from the Windows StarCraft. You will need to change them to Mac StarCraft.mpq files so they are recognized. You will need the Mac Storm file and the Mac Application. Finally, you will need to build a CD with the proper file structure and name.

If you have more questions about this you can email me.

14. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's the building the CD with the correct structure that's got me stuck. I've got BW for Windows too. It seems that the early purchasers get the lesser deal :(

I'll see if I can find the MacGamer article somewhere.

15. Xenophanes macrumors newbie

Ok.... to do this you need to reproduce the Mac CD. Uh.... I havn't looked at the Mac CD for a very very long time, but I think basically you needed one .mpq file in the CD in the correct folder. The name of the CD was also very important (as is the filetype and creator codes of the .mpq file).

There is a way around burning a CD.

Why do you need the CD in your CD drive? Well... basically there is a very small (I think 62k file) which is "checked" by the program. If it isn't there... the program won't run. It is possible to put all data into the patch.mpq file and only have the program check for the small file. This is how some early Mac StarCraft "cracks" were made.

There are some .mpq files floating around (I think Infoceptor.com or just do a google search) which only contain this "CHECK" file (not the real name). If so you could be able to build a Disk Image with this modified .mpq in it.

Does this make sense? If you are still having problems then I will check to see what I did exactly.

Xenophanes

16. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes this does make sense. Whether I can actually do it is a different story though!

17. Xenophanes macrumors newbie

Well..... It works. I had to burn three CD's to get the BroodWar CD to work. I didn't have the proper name for the CD and it took me 3 tries to get it correct.

I don't know if it is really worth it. You could buy a new copy for cheap off of Ebay or in the value section in Target (yes I saw it there).

Good luck.

18. Mercury macrumors regular

Dang! You mean, that whole time I was playing original SC, I could've just bought BW for PC and played with that?!

Did it work on battle.net?

19. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

On a related topic, does anyone know if StarCraft will run on OS X natively (no Classic) with a patch of some sort, or is it OS 9/Classic only? It's been forever since I played StarCraft, but this thread got me thinking about how effing great that game was. I'd be all about buying a new copy if it'll run in X. :)

[edit]And what about the original Diablo. I remember it being released around the same time as StarCraft and being a hybrid cd. Anyone know if it'll run in OS X without Classic?[/edit]

20. Mercury macrumors regular

Yes! StarCraft absolutely will run natively in OS X(carbon) with a patch. You can download it here.

Unfortunately, the same is not true for the original Diablo. It's simply too old, at this point, for Blizzard to release an OS X patch for.

21. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Damn! I'm thrilled to find out that I can run SC in OS X, but that Diablo thing really sucks. That was such a fantastic game! Oh well, looks like I'll have StarCraft to ease the pain. ;)

22. ollywilson2003 macrumors member

You guys have it lucky, my 17" iMac cost me about NZ $4000.:(

23. Mercury macrumors regular

Well, to be honest, Diablo II really has matured and is quite a wonderful game, far deeper than Diablo ever was.

Some people say they still prefer the original, and it may be true that it was better-for its time. But, I think that if you can get past the hacked economy and a few weird things (all to go away with the upcoming and currently public beta tested 1.10 patch), you'll enjoy yourself quite a bit. I know I am. Anyone interested in TCP/IP 1.10 D2(the patch is only TCP/IP at this point), let me know!

24. Xenophanes macrumors newbie

Yups...

Mercury,

You could have played BroodWar about five months ahead of the Mac release if you knew what you should have done.

See.... Blizzard likes to keep the file structures consistent between the Mac and PC versions. When Blizzard released a patch for Mac and PC StarCraft (before the Mac release, but immediately following the PC BW release) I thought it was a little bit strange and.... timely. So.... I got the idea to try it because I started snooping around in the app (PC and Mac) using Hex edit (and ResEdit for Mac). (Please note that I did all of this using Virtual PC.... took a VERY long time on my poor beige G3 266).

I found that there were paths for BroodWar in both the Mac and PC updated versions of StarCraft!

So I felt that Blizzard may have updated the program in the Macs to handel BroodWar BEFORE the disks were released.

So I gave it a shot. It worked. I wrote a tutorial about it and got threatened by Blizzard.

After that I started making an Add-on for StarCraft (much like BroodWar) and again.... Blizzard told me to stop.

They hate me. =)

25. Mercury macrumors regular

Blast! I remember I was away camping at Bass Lake here in California when it came out, and I got back, and it was the neatest thing ever. A NEW DARK PURPLE TILESET, for a planet I can't even remember the name of. The home of the Dark Templar.. whatever it is. Oh well.

Yeah, too bad I didn't know, either. My long-time PC friend who had both SC and BW and I always played SC because BW for mac wasn't out. There's a happy ending, though. He recently bought a ghz TiBook, after 7 years of mac vs. PC.