Windows Switcher needs iTunes help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jmeche3, Nov 28, 2004.

1. jmeche3 macrumors newbie

Nov 28, 2004
    Hi. I just switched to Mac about a week ago. I have used os 9 in the past but this is my first time really getting involved in osx and I'm loving it. I have a bit of a problem though. On my windows machine, I have a 2800 song itunes library full of ratings and playlists. I have transferred all of my music over to the Mac and I have tried to transfer the library file, but apparently iTunes on the mac can find none of the songs. I really want to avoid re-adding those songs to the library from scratch because the majority of them I have already rated on my windows machine, and redirecting each individual file to the new file is downright impractical and would take a week. Can anyone aid me in this?

John Meche
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    on your windows computer you should have an iTunes library data file and an .xml file, copy both of these over into your Music>iTunes folder on your mac

i think thats what you said you tried to do, but thats the ONLY way i know to get this to work....
  3. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Do you have an iPod? If so, grab iPodRip from my site below and use the Sync Meta Data tool. It is free for 10 uses so it shouldn't be a problem.
  4. jmeche3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 28, 2004
    I have done the transfer of my library files from windows, but it's showing every file is missing. I think this is because the windows library files are not pointing to a relative location but to a specific Itunes in the Mac is looking for c:\documents and settings\...\my music\song.mp3 when the file is now machd\...\my music\ there any way to redirect itunes to find te files in a new location without individually redirecting each of the 2800 files? such as a utility that will take my library files and move the relative location that the files points to to a location of my choosing. I don't have an iPod so the iPod route wouldn't work.
  5. gfox25 macrumors newbie

Feb 18, 2004
    you have 2 things u can do. This will copy your music to your mac.
    in itunes go to preference>advanced.
    check of the box that says copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library.

The other is
    in itunes go to preference>advanced.
    change the folder location.
    you might also have to add the library in
    file>add library>choose folder
  6. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    you could try find and replace in the xml file (open it with textedit or whatever).

C:\Document and Settings\blablabla
    ... or whatever it says and replace with
    file://localhost/Users/<your username>/Music/
  7. jmeche3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 28, 2004
    i have always declined to add music to the intunes folder cause iTunes never seemed to organize it correctly. If an artist corraborated with another artist for one song on a cd then that song would have its own directory and such apart from the rest of the album. I think I am just going to put up the white flag and rerate all my songs because nothing has worked..the itunes library files in a text editor are pure mush.

Thanks for all the help