Windows to Mac iPod crisis

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Reclaimer, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Reclaimer macrumors newbie

Just got my Powerbook in the mail today at 3pm. I'm thrilled, and love it!

My question to you all now is this:
    I'm wanting to reformat my Windows desktop PC (yes, I still need Windows right now), but I don't want to lose all of my purchased music from iTunes. I can't fit it onto a CD, and it takes too long to upload to my webspace. It's all on my iPod, though, and I was hoping I could convert my Windows iPod to a Mac iPod, and then transfer the music to the Powerbook via Senuti. Is there any way this is possible?
    I really, really, really do not want to lose all of this music, but I also need to reformat my HD, as Windows has slowed to a crawl lately.

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

3. Reclaimer thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't work.
    The mac won't even recognize the iPod.

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

5. cfd macrumors member

6. Reclaimer thread starter macrumors newbie

That works! Thanks so much!!

Oddly enough, when I authorize this computer, it says I've authorized 4 out of my 5 computers...funny, the songs are on 2 computers. Very odd. Oh well.

7. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

I hit my 5 computer limit when I got the new G5... I'd forgotten to de-authorize iTunes before reformating older systems that ran the total up. I'd authorized twice on an old laptop that I don't even own anymore, once on my desktop PC, once on the iBook, then lastly on the iMac.

Once you hit 5 systems, you can log in to the iTunes music store and do a bulk de-authorize of all systems, then re-authorize the ones you're actually using.

Worked for me, as now I only use iTunes on the iBook and iMac

8. Reclaimer thread starter macrumors newbie

Nifty. Didn't know you could do that.

..then again, besides iPod and iTunes, I haven't touched a Mac (sadly) since...oh, 1998. But I'm back, and couldn't be happier! :D

Side note: I totally spaced that I could simply FTP the music from Windows to Mac, and then reformat my iPod to Mac. I'm in the process of FTPing some videos over right now.