Windows Trojans on my MAC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RDrebsky6868, May 11, 2005.

1. RDrebsky6868 macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2005
    I just bought Norton Internet Security the other day and I ran the virus scan. Too my surpise I had 4, thats right 4 windows based trojans running on my Macintosh. I do have Virtual PC but I dont surf the internet on it. I also only ran it a few times because it ran so slowly even on my Dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac. I dont know how this could of gotten on their. I did clean it and get rid of them but I dont have any explnations for it, whatsoever.
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    You probably got them from your Windows-using friends or from your own Windows-based computer. You may even have gotten them via Virtual PC. Unless you have networking disabled, then your VPC-hosted copy of Windows communicates over the 'net. VPC 7 treats your Mac HD as a network volume. The takeaway message is that you have quite a few ways to get Windows-based trojans.
  3. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Even though you have a Mac, you'll still get email and potentially Office documents (via Macros) that have been infected with Windows viruses, trojans, etc. However, these normally just sit and lie dormant on your computer - for example, all the recent virus emails that have attachments still carry the Windows executable with them. Anti-virus software will then scan your hard drive and recognize the file as a virus even if it isn't actually causing harm to your computer.