Windows Update Killed Itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dave00, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Ok, so I'm not into conspiracy theories or anything, but I wouldn't put anything past Microsoft. Anyway, I ran a Windows "Update" on my work PC, and iTunes would no longer run. You could double click on the icon, and it would show up under the "Task Manager" as running, but no other discernable evidence of life. No error messages either. Just wouldn't come up. I restarted. No help. I ran iTunes setup and told it to reinstall iTunes, still nothing. Finally, I completely uninstalled and deleted iTunes, then reinstalled from scratch. Finally, it semes to work.

Anyone else noticed iTunes not working after an "update" on a windows machine? If so, I smell a rat.

--D

2. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

No, but then again I haven't run Windows update in a while...Don't think I will now...

Do you just do critical updates or do you update everything?

Mike

3. Soc7777777 macrumors regular

i have it set to all critical updates.. and itunes is working perfectly

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I don't have or use :D a Windows machine so I wouldn't know, But I wouldn't put it past them either. I remember the first (and last until last month) time I installed anything MS on my mac. Quite a while back I put Windows Media Player on my Mac and QuickTime all of the sudden had serious issues running correctly. In addition, I remember the first (and last) time I installed Explorer on my Mac and Netscape which had been very reliable (it is all relative of course) all of the sudden started crashing daily!

Damn rats!

I don't know if it would be a MS "policy" but more likely is some programmer that hates Macs and puts something in there to sabatoge another program.

Not trying to get off topic, but anyone else have issues like this?

5. Dave00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm mostly interested in whether others had the same problem. If not, it's probably just some instability in the system. But if others had the problem, I'd like to know. I'm just glad it's working again.

Thanks for the responses.

6. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

i haven't seen this with itunes specifically, but the whole uninstall/reinstall jumping-through-the-hoops trick is not new to windows. i wouldn't think it was the updates that did it exclusively, but maybe the straw that broke the camel's back. then again, maybe it was the update, or maybe it was just coincidental.

<adding to the "why i hate windows" list>

7. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

Windows XP SP2

I had a similar problem when I installed RC2 version of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP on my PC. Every time I inseterted my iPod into its dock the PC would start to run iTumes and then reboot :mad: .

Once this offending software was removed, the PC wouldn't reboot when running iTunes and the iPod :p . However even though SP2 was removed I had to rebuild the PC the following weekend as it was acting strange.

Granted this wasn't the final version of SP2 and I knew the risks when I installed it. However when SP2 is released (eventually) I will wait before installing it this time.

All is not lost though as when my Powerbook arrives, my iPod will be connected to it rather than my PC (once my AAC + MP3's are transferred).

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

At the rate Microsoft's going, not only will Windows XP SP2 not be released anytime soon, but when it finally does come out, LOTS of applications will break. I wouldn't be surprised if my iTunes for Windows also failed to work following an installation of WinXP SP2 RC2 (which I'm not going to risk trying).

9. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

SP2 is done. It already in the hands of OEMs and it will be out for download in the new few weeks. All windows updates now run though version5 which means they are getting it ready to for everyone to download. It used to be only people running the RC2 where using the verson 5 updater. Check the MS site.

As for you itunes problem. Here is a question for you. Is you windows OS have any odd setting in it or stuff installed in the OS that the average persons does not have. Up at my several of us had problems dealing with itunes and we found the common thread among use what that all of our OS where tweat out and they where all set up for programing and what not. (We all had .net protcalls and what not) among other things. None of use could run itune stablily. My laptop can not run it correctly. Itunes will work with SP2 because it runs fine on my desktop while I had SP2 running on it.

iTunes just has problems when a system is tweat out and opitmized beyond what the average person has

10. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

As I had said earlier I have had to rebuild my machine after removing SP2 and so IF there was anything else on my PC that casued a conflict with itunes, it is most likely gone now.

I will most likely put Sp2 on the PC, but as with all updates (Mac and PC) it is alwyas best to wait a couple of weeks in case there are problems when a larger number of people start testing oops I meant using it :rolleyes: .

Thanks for the suggestions though.

11. wide macrumors 6502a

Several Windows programs have this glitch (I've experienced it with many programs other than iTunes). I do not know why the iTunes icon didn't do anything when you clicked on it, but I can assure you that Windows Update had nothing to do with it. This has happened to me using Internet Explorer 6, iTunes, MusicMatch, Adobe Photoshop CS Demo, Macromedia Dreamweaver 2004 MX, and numerous other programs. I think it happens because the process is running (you can view processes in the Task Manager), so the program thinks that it is really running and using RAM, but the interface isn't maximized. Restarting often helps, so "ending the process" in the Task Manager on the bottom right corner of the Processes section and then reclicking on the iTunes icon.

This might not have made much sense; I'd like if someone translated it into real computing terms (if at all possible).

12. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

The problem I was talking about dealing with itunes is restarting kill the process ect where not fixing it. It was a tweat out system has a huge chance of having massive problem with itunes. SP2 I dont exect ot have any real problems with it. The only reason I am not currently running a release candite was it gave me some problem with firefox so I just use system restore to go back before i put it on. I just did not feeling like messing with it but I pretty use it was just a glitch and easily fix with an uninstall nad resinstall of firefox

13. dmc072509 macrumors newbie

Itunes for windows

Ok I am having a problem and have no clue how to fix it. I updated itunes to the new 8.0 version and I now get this error......itunes was not properly installed. If you wish to import or burn cd's you need to reinstall itunes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled at least 10 times now. I have went through and deleted folders and everything for itunes, ipod, and quicktime and have reinstalled and still to no avail. I can add songs to itunes from limewire and I can play my songs just fine, however when you try to burn a cd it tells you disc burner not found. :mad: Can anyone help me with this?