Windows USB Keyboard on OS 9?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by briansolomon, Sep 5, 2005.

1. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I would think it would work if it says it on the box of the keyboard(Showing a Mac OS 9 symbol). Tell us exactly which keyboard it is.

3. briansolomon thread starter macrumors 6502

briansolomon

It's not a particular keyboard. My friend picked up an old iMac and we don't have a keyboard for it...The 2 button Dell mouse won't scroll or the right mouse button won't work. I was just curious if OS 9 was capable of supporting a Windows keyboard because the Apple ones are hard to come by for a cheap price.

I guess I could try with a Windows keyboard...Just last time we tested it out we only had laptops or a Mac keyboard available.

Hrm

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yes. A USB keyboard will work perfectly fine. The Windows key is your Apple key. I've used a MS and Viewsonic keyboard with OS 9. No problems.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

You know...

It should work just fine (with a PS/2 to USB adapter if you need one), but Apple USB keyboards are only $30 now...

6. cubist macrumors 68020

Plus you can get those older "fruit iMac" keyboards for almost nothing on eBay, or even in thrift shops.

I was using a PS/2 PC keyboard with a PS/2-to-USB adapter for a long time, both on PCs and Macs. No problems at all, but the keyboard layout bugged me. So I bought an Apple keyboard from Amazon to use with my PCs!