Windows User Password

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by VegetaPunk, May 25, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2002
    Does anyone know how to set a user password to blank? I just want to have the user name to come up and then press ok for it to log on.

Thanks for the help
  2. 7on
    macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    In Window's control panel, Accounts, then click on your account, then choose change password, then type in your old password, and leave the new password blank
  3. macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2004
    19th Hole
    you would have to set up a user name and not fill in the password when you are setting up the account. then you could just hit okay when the dialog popped up.

- reaper
  4. macrumors member

Jan 11, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    i don't actually know, i'm just showing someone how to use message forums, and this is what i clicked on. best of luck though.
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2002
    when I do change password or when I first made the user it said that I need to have a longer password (think it wants it to be 8 chars long)
  6. macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    You never said which version of windows.

If it's WinXP, the pw prompt won't show up if you only have an Admin acct and Guest acct. You can also use PowerToy for windows to auto login/enter pw for you.
  7. macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Way bad idea.

Bad idea. VERY bad idea. Having blank passwords is like screwing without a condom. You'r probably OK for a while but its going to come back to bite you in the long run.

Seriously. If you are looking to automaticly log in use MS's Tweak UI. Set an 8 character password, write it down so in the event of you forgetting and you need it you'll know it, then go and download the tweakUI powertoy here:
    Windows 2K/NT:
    Windows XP:

There is an auto login feature in the list of tweaks and all you have to do is fill out your user name and password and you are set from there on out it will auto log you into windows everytime. Its a way more secure method while still allowing an easy login method.

Attached Files: