Windows user wants .mov

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Elrond39, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Elrond39 macrumors 6502

So.... here's my question. How do I convert my current files (avi mostly, maybe two mpg) into the .mov format, or the mpeg4 format for Quicktime (and, most notably, the new iPod with video playback)?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Download and install the DivX codec and you don't have to. If you want to, QuickTime Pro will do the trick if you have have the DivX codec installed.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Or, to save the $30...

ffmpegX! Better, faster, and higher-quality. :) And free.

Linkety

Cool, eh?

4. Elrond39 thread starter macrumors 6502

Which DivX codec will I need to look for? I've tried the 5.2.1 (remember, I'm a windows user.... I hate myself for it), but no audio. I've also downloaded the newest 3ivX, but no audio... All I really need to do is get Quicktime to play my files, and then, yeah, get Pro to drop them on the iPod.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

DivX 6 is out for Windows. Also, with QT 7.0.3, you do not need pro to encode for the new iPod.

6. Elrond39 thread starter macrumors 6502

so I have the DivX 6, but I'm still not getting any sound... is there someone who's had this same problem? (running .avi in Quicktime 7 Windows without getting sound) If so, help would be appreciated.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Perhaps your problem is not your codecs.

8. Elrond39 thread starter macrumors 6502

any suggestions on what might be? because the sound works fine for everything else... even in Quicktime (the event stream, and other .mov files)

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

What kind of audio does the file have? QuickTime doesn't handle AC3 audio, and there may be other things.
    I'm kind of surprised at how much QT7 caught everyone (developer-wise) off-guard. But they aren't really the ones to blame.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

QuickTime handles AC3 if you have the AC3 codec installed.

11. Elrond39 thread starter macrumors 6502

The files I'm trying to play are identified (by checking the movie properties in QT) as having mp3 audio files. I think maybe I should just hope for the 3ivx people to get the next version out, with better support for windows-based users... As long as it happens before my iPod gets here.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So how do you do it then? I have QT 7.0.3 and my export command is still greyed out and listed as a "Pro" feature? (I'm on OS X)

Currently I'm using Handbrake for DVD's, I'll probably go to the net café and get ffmpegx soon too.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The 3ivx codec does not play unconverted files with mp3 audio tracks. You have to flatten them with DivX Doctor II first.

You have to enable QuickTime Pro.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Too bad it's broken in QT7 (well, 7.0.2+ at least). At least the developer knows.
    The DivX codec handles MP3 audio tracks, even if the 3ivX codec is doing video. clicky

And I need to work on my reading comprehension. :( That was one of my strong points on the SAT too :eek: