Windows users abusing their laptops

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lamina, Jan 10, 2007.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Ever notice that Windows laptop users PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GODS SAKE?

I'm in my biopsyc lecture right now and this girl just down the row from me is literally slamming her keys. The 3 MacBook users in the room are gingerly tapping their keys.

Anyone else notice this?

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

People do tend to baby Macs more. I'm sure there are various reasons for it. I hammer on all my laptops. Perhaps it's just as well people treat their Macs more gingerly lest they reveal more issues.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have noticed this as well. I guess that PeeCee users just care less about their computers than Mac users do. :D :) :cool:

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

my pc-using friends generally take very good care of their laptops, save for one who smokes right in front of his laptop leaving ash all over his keyboard and screen. <cringe>

5. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I don't know that it matters what type of computer you have. Some people just type with more force than others. One of my mac-using friends has worn out a couple of keyboards on his iBook, which is only two years old.

6. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I remember a simpler time when "Abusing your laptop" was a normal teenager activity.
    Coincidentally, my right-handed  key kust came partially unhinged. Swear-to-god I wans't abusing!

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I really hate it when people do that with borrowed laptops.

8. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I guess I pound the keyboard awfully hard, as my 2.5 yr old desktop's keyboard letters are etching off, and it started on my Toshiba laptop too. I still pound hard on my Macbook, so we'll see how durable this little thing is. :D

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I only pound on my 13 year old Toshiba, becasue the keys are just naturally hard to push down.

10. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

11. After G macrumors 68000

After G

12. andy89 macrumors 6502

I punch my thinkpad because it runs XP.

And I slam the keys because there alot of crumbs and crap stuck under them.

Im sure thats the same reasons for those guys :p

13. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

That's because for the price of 1 Mac you can get 2 Dells. :rolleyes:

14. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Totally. I notice at work many colleages of mine do so with their thinkpads during meetings, pounding on the keyboards like it some kind of typewriter. I always want to tell them to "take it easy" :D.

15. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

my experience is that it varies form person to person. some people are just mashers.

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yay, just got an old laptop off of ebay (Windows 2000) Lets see how long this one lasts.:D

17. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I've noticed this a lot too. One of my friends would always hit the trackpad button on my PowerBook (and his laptop, and everyone else's laptop) so hard I was afraid it would break.

While using his PC (which is the stereotypical variety with tons of viruses and crap), he looks so genuinely frustrated, I think this is part of what causes this.

18. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I love my Macs, and I hate to see people abuse them..it makes me sad:(

But I do notice the difference between the way some windows users treat their machines vs mac users. Im sure there are several reasons for this...cost and loyalty probably being the top 2.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I guess that's why I've heard a lot of Windows users complain about Mac keyboards. I haven't noticed it happening so much but I'd suspect that they have scraped knuckles, too.

20. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You could say they're abusing their laptops by having Windows installed in the fist place. ;) :p

When I have to use the Dells on campus, I find myself hitting the keys pretty hard, partly because the cheap Dell keyboards are AWFUL and hard to type on, partly because I get so frustrated at some things Windows does (or doesn't do). I don't have the problem with Windows on my Mac Pro since I have it configured in a way that works much better for me and I get to use the soft Apple keyboard.