Windows virus threatens 170-year-old Toldeo newspaper's perfect record, Apple Macs sa

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bodeh6, Jan 26, 2006.

1. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

From MacDailyNews/

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

4. jocool5 macrumors member

jocool5

It might happen to the mac soon though

Hey,
    I was just on digg, and thought that i would share an article that I read on there. It is about how mac os has some security issues. Take a read, this type of thing might happen on a mac sooner than later! Maybe not a virus but an attack of some sort, and not to this company inperticular.
    Ancent flaws leave OS X Vulnerable

5. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Biggest load of testicles i've ever wasted my time reading :p

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

I liked the part most when he said something along hte lines of 'Mac will end up less secure than windows"

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

10 to 15 years ago? And no one has discovered it in *BSD? Until this guy found it in OS X? :rolleyes:

9. white89gt macrumors regular

Agreed. I may be mistaken, but isn't OSX a unix distro for all practical purposes? Isn't Unix supposed to be more stable and secure than any other OS out there? There's something fishy about what that guy said. He pointed out only two or three security flaws. If he's so good at finding them, maybe he should take a look at Win XP....... Is it just me or does that guy sound like he's on M$'s payroll?

10. jocool5 macrumors member

jocool5

I think after consulting my professors and the comp sci department I think that he is full of crap but there are programs that can exploit the thing he said about the programs deleting crutial information.

11. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I didn't!

:D

12. Arcus macrumors 6502a

I moused over the link , saw zdnet , quickly moved the mouse away from the link and wiped down the underside of my mouse....just to be sure.

13. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

hahahaha, is zdnet really that bad?

14. p0intblank macrumors 68030

"The only thing which has kept Mac OS X relatively safe up until now is the fact that the market share is significantly lower than that of Microsoft Windows or the more common UNIX platforms.… If this situation was to change, in my opinion, things could be a lot worse on Mac OS X than they currently are on other operating systems, regarding security vulnerabilities," said Archibald."

What a load of bull! A lot worse than Windows? I think not...

15. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

I love the point that "Apple software is less secure because they don't use the same practices as Microsoft".

WTF? Hello?

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It's all FUD. How many MS exploites have been documented? Compared to how many OS X exploits? Compare each system to see how many exploits ahve actually happened? What's that? ZERO TO ??????????????????

The guy is full of ****, and anyone who talks like him should be beaten to death over days for such stupidity. I get sick of all these Winblows fanboys talking **** because they "think" they know better. When in all reality they couldn't be more wrong. Someone give me a license to kill. I promise to rid the world of 50% of its stupidity by 2007.

Bring an OS X virus on. Just try. I guarentee it's being tried and no one can get it to work. It's called NOT BEING WINDOWS.

17. Chuckles macrumors member

Chuckles

What an <...> hole! BSD is the most secure (out of the box) OS out there! Personally, I prefer Linux. It's a little easier to manage. On the PC, anyway. :rolleyes:

The first article posted is awesome, btw. I need to show it to some of my Mac/Unix hating friends.

18. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Anyone notice he said that Mac OS X had a lower market-share than Unix? Correct me if I am wrong but I do believe that Mac OS X has 4-5 times the market share of Unix. That just shows he either doesn't know the facts or is purposefully bending them.

19. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

Depends on your market. In the server market, OS-X has a tiny foot-print.

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I guess he was lumping all flavors of UNIX into one? If so.. why not lump OS X in there.. Darwin IS (a) UNIX (flavor)?

21. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

I agree, OS-X is a *NIX platform, and I wish it could be more recognized as such. Come to that I wish other *NIX companies could take a look at what Apple has done with *NIX rather than continue to try and make Linux more like Windows. If I want windows I'll buy it from MS, I chose OS-X because I DON'T WANT WINDOWS!

22. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR