Windows viruses soar by more than 400%

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Apple Hobo, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Link

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That really annoys me. Not that windows has so many viruses, but that people put so much wasted time in making them.

3. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Thank goodness apple has such small market share...

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

And a superior architecture... ;)

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Its not so much architecture, if someone wanted to spend time they could create a working mac virus, its just that being 5% really helps most of the time, Virus creators are doing what they do because they want to be noticed.

6. Brettla macrumors regular

I have my anti virus on my windows pc and it runs everyday, and finds something everyother day, and it's only used for AIM, Internet, and Folding, and the i usually have to remove spyware and adware everyday, i'm sure glad i have my Macs to rely, instead of that windows computer. You would think that microsoft would put something in their critical updates to help you aviod viruses, but no they just can't do that.

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

5,000 viruses in 6 months?!? That's nearly 28 every single day! You'd be blocking a new virus roughly every 45-50 minutes! That's overly insane. I can see where Windows anti-virus could be a huge market. However, for the Mac, see sig.

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Does anyone know what percentage of Symantec's work force is devoted to the developement of new virii? :)

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If your removing something everyday (other than maybe tracking cookies) you've got a problem you should look into.

10. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

well most of those new virus are not really new per say but just varation of a few of the biger one. There are a few 100 vartion of the sassier virus. several 100 versons of the blaster virus. Just windows got his by seval large virus this year so the script kiddies out there who suck at real coding take a sourse of somethign like blaster and change a few things in them but all they are all script kiddies who know nouthing about reall hacking and virus writing

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

You sound like Steve. :)

12. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I read various pages on the macobserver about market share and macosx. According to a security firm in the UK, the number of virii/attacks/hacks on a system had little to do with market share. Other operating systems with a market share much lower than the macos suffered more.
    Obviously I'm not quoting but I guess if you were interested then you could check out the macobserver.

13. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

windows virii actually affect us mac users too. those virus-infected windows boxes keep spamming us too with the stupid virus messages :p

14. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Yeah, that's what really jerks my chicken about Windows virus ... stoopid viral e-mails from windows peecees :mad:

My ISP has been hit 3 times from the overloading caused, and a figure like 400% doesn't lift my spirits much for the future.

15. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

When you look at how much spam and virii there were 5 years ago, how much there is now... it's scary to think of what's it gonna be in five years from now. What's worse, looks like it's exponential and not linear.

16. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

That's what the junk feature on Mail.app is ;) :D

17. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

also effects you in another way to. Everyone feels it when the internet slows to the crawl

18. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

one big way to decrease viral infestation is to not use internet explorer! unfortunately, not enough people know that alternatives are available.