Windows Vista: Eight different views...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by XNine, Feb 21, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    That's right, Windows Vista will come in 8, that's right, EIGHT different versions.

These are: Windows Starter 2007, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate. There are two "N" versions without Media Player installed for Europe.

This doesn't include Mobile, Tablet, or Media Center versions either.

In short, MS is trying to milk it's customers, selling crappy, sub-standard versions.

With OS X, you have two options: CLIENT AND SERVER.

HOW EFFING HARD IS IT TO MAKE JUST TWO DIFFERENT VERSIONS?!?!?!?!?!

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i'm looking forward to the fury of dell users finding out you can only run three applications at a time with the basic versions.

3. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

hehe, Microsoft making everything over complicated! as usual!

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

5. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Heh. Bash Vista all you want, but this is f***ing nice.

I'm on the Feburary CTP. Its amazing.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

...And the funny thing is - They are all the same, just the box is a different color (and several hundred dollars of course).

Typical Microsoft.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

As frustrating as windows is, get the facts straight. 3 windows at a time is only in the developing world edition and will not be sold in the US (for example). The business editions are pretty much clear enough to know who the target is - Enterprise, Businesses, Small Business (ie you don't need IT to run a lot of basic, but important features like backup). Europe is to blame for the n versions. Home basic and premium? Basically the fancy effects will be missing in basic. If your hardware doesn't support it, why pay for it? And do most home users need remote desktop access? Do most businesses need Media Center? Ultimate - because you have the geeks out there who need to have all possible features.

I think MS is about as silly as they come and I really think that if I didn't have Office on my PB, my crash total would be 0. My only crashes have been Word. I don't like MS, but if they don't screw up the packaging, retail buyers should have a clear idea of what they are buying. Additionally, I imagine that OEMs will probably install home Premium unless the hardware won't support it, and the Business edition that best fits the buyers business...

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What about the 64bit versions os all of them?

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I think we can all figure out who each version is marketed for; but why not just make one or two good versions and call it a day?

Microsoft would rather make a (somewhat) good OS, and then take features away and sell those "dulled down" versions separately.

It's stupid.

11. Timepass macrumors 65816

First off Starter and Enterpise are not going to be able to be boughten by the general public. So they dont count (starter is only going to be sold in 3rd world countrys, mostly in asia. Enterpise is ment for corpate networking computer ONLY and it allows the by passing of activation and entering cd keys.)
    As for "N" I dont think they should count because it a force thing they have to do.
    So that took it down to 4 main versons. Tablet is made only for tablet PC and is designed diffenerently. It has many things a normal computer can not do. Besides it would be install OEM so it does not matter.

As for media I dont care for it.
    Moble is made for laptop only. I dont think it is a bad thing to design an OS to work with a lot of things only laptops can and can not do over a desktop. I thinking it mostly has to do with power managment and what not.

As for 64 bit and 32 bit version they are shipping together at the same time on the SAME disk. The users gets to choose what verson they want to install on there computer at the time of the intall.

As for the crippling I dont really care for it but I would say for apple to say anything about it. It would be the pot calling the kettle black because apple has a long history of intentional crippling there computers. Example being just look at the consumer lv computers. There hardware can support quite a bit more but apple made sure that it could do it. The graphic cards support easily screen spanning and running at larger resolution on another monitor. Something that apple does not let them do. Huge deal in the ibooks. But that just to point out that apple does it as well. I dont agree with it in any form.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

"boughten"...one of my favorite non-words ever. No offense intended...I really mean it.

I think a lot of people feel the the "N" versions should be the standard, and that's why they count them against Microsoft. They're not being "forced" to do it...they could get rid of the non-N versions entirely. Let people choose which media player they want to use...what a concept.

13. Timepass macrumors 65816

counter point is how come iTunes and quick time comes installed standard with OSX. I mean apple could let people choose the stuff as well. The other choice is to let people choose not to install them with the OS.
    I personally dont care if N is there or not I dont think it should be held agaist MS in verson count because they are being force to do it. It is not like it hard to remove windows Media player.

But maybe apple should also give people a N choice as well so they dont have to install itunes and quicktime with there OS

14. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It is pretty easy to take itunes.app and drag it to the trash. Ever try to uninstall Media Center 10? It is a royal pain in the ass, even after its uninstalled you still have things lingering around that you need to manually remove.

Ed

15. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Windows Starter 2007 - For third world countries. So stripped down that it doesn't even carry the 'Vista' name. Can not be purchased anywhere else.

Windows Vista Home Basic - Comparable to Windows XP Home Edition, lacks professional features and will be the version of Windows preinstalled on most PCs.

Windows Vista Home Premium - Comparable to Windows XP Media Center Edition, it features the Media Center, as well as more tools and entertainment for home users.

Windows Vista Business - Comparable to a stripped down Windows XP Professional as it lacks entertainment and media functionality, and ideal for business environments.

Windows Vista Enterprise - This is comparable to Windows Vista Business but with more business oriented features. Does not require activation. Only sold to major businesses.

Windows Vista Ultimate This is the top of the line version. It features every feature in all the major (bolded) versions of Vista, and Vista Enterprise. It will also include special subscription services for free.

Windows Server 2007 - The successor to Windows Server 2003

The N Versions of Vista - Specific for European Markets, lacks Windows Media Player preinstalled.

Bolded Versions are the mainstream versions

Windows XP currently has Home, Professional, Media Center, Tablet PC, Server 2003, Enterprise (Though it's not called this).

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I prefer "buyded" as in "I went and buyded me one of them I-Pods today down the shops"

17. portent macrumors 6502a

Put your mouse pointer over it and press control-command-D

For those without Tiger...boughten

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well, yes, but it's not Standard English. It is present in certain American dialects (predominantly Northern US), and it's one of those words that has gained a bit of acceptance through sheer volume of usage. It's pretty far out on the fringe if you ask me though.

19. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

No way! :eek: Tiger has a dictionary feature like that? I want to upgrade more every day, but I can't afford it right now.

I think MS is trying to screw customers even more with all these different versions. Scenario: You buy a new PC from Dell and it comes with Windows Basic (or whatever). You then go to burn a CD and find out that that functionality is not available in the Basic version, so you have to go fork out cash for a SECOND copy of Windows (Premium) just so you can burn a CD. And like MS is going to advertise that certain features are not available in different versions; the general consumer is probably not going to bother to look up the differences, they'll just go with whatever Dell gives them.

20. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

The official name in Redmond is Vista Xtreme Pain.

21. ethen macrumors regular

Man, i got headache just reading what they have :p
    but seriously, i dont see the point for them to make so many type of vista, they cant even maintain 2 flavour of Xp (home and pro) well, how the hell they will handle 8 lol

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I can't say I understand the point of this. Why not just give them home? It's like saying "Haha, you live in a poorer country, here's an even crappier copy of Windows!" :rolleyes:

Not to mention that copyright laws are nonexistant in many 3rd world countries and the Ultimate (or whatever the hell the best one is, if there's a such thing as a best Windows OS) version will probably be cheaper and more readily available than starter.

23. Timepass macrumors 65816

It more like it solid for dirt cheap to them. That why they do it. It to give them a cheaper alternitive to stealling.

24. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Correction, this is the FIRST topic posted about this. The second one was posted two days later, which is what you linked to.

As for "not being available to the general public..." How the **** does that even matter? The point is there are EIGHT different Versions (and yes I realize the N versions are special for European release)

How about they make TWO versions: Client, and SERVER. And make it so all applications can be switched off/thrown out/overridden with another default app? That eliminates 6 versions right there.