Windows Vista Not Like Mac OS X

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 15, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Reviews
    Link: Windows Vista Not Like Mac OS X
    Description:: David Pogue of the NY Times sets out to show that Microsoft is not a "huge copying machine" out in Redmond and does in fact have some "innovative" features in Windows Vista that are totally different from Mac OS X features.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

3. macrumors 68000

zephead

Wow, either this guy is very sarcastic, or he's a complete and utter fool. I really hope it's the first one.

4. macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

LOL!! I was laughing out loud watching this! This has definitely got to be sarcastic, and I think it's even better than the mock at WWDC. Very nicely done. :D

5. macrumors 6502

I just watched it, it was amazing. Definatly the best post on this site!!!

I was laughing so much as I watched it.

6. macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

In the beginning I thought it was a serious video, but as soon as he said the "top-right corner is not the same as bottom-left corner" regarding spotlight/instant search, I knew it was sarcastic. :D

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I like the Times for news and journalism ... I'm not quite ready to invest in its comedy yet.... But I'm glad it looked like *he* had fun. :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

He's absolutely right!! Widgets and gadgets are not the same thing! Yes, they're synonyms, but that does NOT mean they're the same thing!

9. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Wow. The end "V for Vista, baby" with an OS X cd overlay pretty much sums up the tackiness and lack of credibility of David Pogue.

At least he wasn't as bad as Bertrand Serlet.

10. macrumors 68000

Kinda drawn out - would've been better if it was just the first "top right, bottom left" comment in another article

11. macrumors member

BryanP

12. macrumors 65816

joshwest

13. macrumors 65816

monke

It took me about half way through to calm down and realize that David was joking. :D

Great video. Even with the included sarcasm. :)

14. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

Is it really hard for people to see that this wasn't serious? I give up on the world...

15. macrumors G4

Chundles

Hmm, never thought I'd see "lack of credibility" and "David Pogue" in the same sentence.

And you do realise Bertrand was sent out there at WWDC as an homage to the French Taunter from Monty Python's Holy Grail?

16. Moderator emeritus

sushi

17. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

Just read Pogue's written review in the NYT. Well done. I have to say that Vista looks like a breath of fresh air for PC users-- Microsoft finally took usability a little more seriously.

18. macrumors 6502a

So true---after they just had to copy Mac OS X's ideas.

19. macrumors regular

Xenesis

20. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

If I was a Windows user, I wouldn't really care so much where the ideas came from as long as they worked. It galls me a bit when MS claims these innovations for themselves, but as a user I'd just be happy that my machine was a little easier to use.

It'll be interesting to see where the Windows vs Mac debate goes from here. So much of the pro-Windows argument has been railing against all of the "eye candy" in OS X, and now MS is importing so many of those ideas into their own OS. I wonder if they'll hold to their "ugly is functional" argument, or if we'll get into a "my eye-candy is better than yours" pissing match.

Personally, I don't see much non-functional eye candy in OS X. Most of the animation and graphics tricks Apple uses are put to good use informing the user about what's going on. Haven't seen much of Vista in action yet.

21. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Aw, I was just joshing Pogue, I just don't like how he's trying to be an unofficial replacement to Guy Kawasaki. The "V for Vista, baby!" comment has to go, and his piece would be 100x better. In another note, apparently some other Macintosh users thought his comments were less than savory. Therein lies the true comedy. :D

If your second point were indeed true, I wish Serlet would have done a more direct impersonation. "You don't frighten us, MS-pig-dogs! ... I blow my nose at you so called Ballmer-Steve." OK, Serlet gets off the hook, just because I can now imagine him in that scenario. He definitely has the physical mannerisms down. :D

22. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's not completely surprising that there are Mac users who didn't get the fact that Pogue was being ironic.

Bush, Rove and Limbaugh really have to learn to get a sense of humor. :D

23. macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

24. macrumors 68020

phungy