Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drjay128

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
I also just put Vista on my MacBook Pro using bootcamp.

I found three articles to be very useful:

1) Vista Boot Camp Installation Guide (very thorough -- missing manual almost)
http://www.geocities.com/nja469/

2) DifferentThings blog - another install story:
http://differentthings.wordpress.co...h-on-a-macbook-pro-running-windows-vista-rtm/

3) DifferentThings blog - Final two bootcamp drivers for Vista
http://differentthings.wordpress.com/2007/02/05/final-two-boot-camp-drivers-for-vista/

Here's the key:

- the initial install goes very smoothly if you just follow the directions
- the first think you should do after installing, is install keyboard remapping software, available here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34515
- do not install the mac keyboard driver at all, as it conflicts with the keyboard mapper
- then install other drivers one by one from the bootcamp driver disk, as described in the above articles

Using this approach went very smoothly and I now have iSight, Wifi, Bluetooth, and all function keys working.

Now if I can just get my pesky external firedrive to work... ;)

Hi,
Thanks, this looks great. Would you expect these to work with an iMac C2D?

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Hmm, I had to reinstall Vista on my Macbook (had some issues with restart I couldn't resolve) and the second time around, it doesn't recognize my iSight in the device manager (no imaging device subsection). I do have an unknown device in my device manager, and the device is located at hub #4, port #5. Is this my iSight? I don't want to install an iSight driver on something that isn't the iSight.

Also, I've narrowed down my restart issue (when restarting, it hangs after the mac chime) to either a vista update, atheros driver update, or my Symantec Antivirus (free copy at the University). Does any of the three sound like they might cause the reboot to hang?

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Sweet

I followed those instuctions and have iSight and Bluetooth working.

I was able to use by phone as a modem, and use video over IM!

Works great! I said it before and I'll say it again, this hardware is awesome for Vista!

MetalFace

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2007
how is gaming hope its puuuuuurfect.

just need to get me a copy of vista legaly of course :cool: but whats the best to opt for i only realy will want to use it for the odd game of counter-strike and maybe final fantasy 11 and anything decent that has a few guns that isnt on mac or console and web browsing tbh.

i got 24inch imac as seen below will it do the job on vista that i want is it worth getting the extreme version?

anyone got any vids of it running or pics

peidon

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2006
Louden,

Did you have to do anything extra to get bluetooth working? I have a C2D MBP and I followed the instructions above. After I updated the driver to "BthKicker" it kept asking for Drivers again.

thanks

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Louden,

Did you have to do anything extra to get bluetooth working? I have a C2D MBP and I followed the instructions above. After I updated the driver to "BthKicker" it kept asking for Drivers again.

thanks

Yep by manual install - you first select
"Browse My Computer for driver software"
and then
"Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
and then
"Have Disk"

The instructions above at this link helped for BT:
http://differentthings.wordpress.co...h-on-a-macbook-pro-running-windows-vista-rtm/

peidon

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2006
Thanks all!
Bluetooth is working. I now have Apple keyboard and mighty mouse working! So nice to have right-click again.

For Isight, everything seem to installed correctly, but when I launch Yahoo messenger to test, the program crashes. What program(s) are you all using with the Isight in Vista?

Frippe

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2007
I am using a MacPro with the Radeon x1900 graphics card. I am having a hard time getting it to work with Vista. Vista installs without any problems, only problem is that the installer runs in 640x480 4bit colours.

It seems that I cant get Vista to work with my x1900 and device manager says that their is a "code 12" problem with it. If I disable the PCI-E 16x lane slot in device manager I can get my resolution up to 1280x1024 and more colours. But it aint hardware accelerated.

I have checked around on the internet and some people say that I need more than 1gb of RAM to make it work. Is this true or is there any way to get x1900 work in Vista with 1Gb of RAM?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I am using a MacPro with the Radeon x1900 graphics card. I am having a hard time getting it to work with Vista. Vista installs without any problems, only problem is that the installer runs in 640x480 4bit colours.

It seems that I cant get Vista to work with my x1900 and device manager says that their is a "code 12" problem with it. If I disable the PCI-E 16x lane slot in device manager I can get my resolution up to 1280x1024 and more colours. But it aint hardware accelerated.

I have checked around on the internet and some people say that I need more than 1gb of RAM to make it work. Is this true or is there any way to get x1900 work in Vista with 1Gb of RAM?
...Have you installed the WDM Catalyst drivers from ATI in Vista? If not, that's you're problem. Get them, install them, it'll work fine—did for me.

MetalFace

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2007
i got vista ultimate installed perfectly trying to sort out bluetooth and isight in a min...

can u get the apple remote working with windows media center?

oh and frontrow pisses all over it lol :p

Frippe

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2007
Killmoms,

I went into ATI webpage and installed the drivers for x1900 32 bit Vista drivers. But it still says "code 12" errors on my x1900. Do you have more than 1gb RAM on your MacPro with x1900?

Maybe it isnt the right drivers I downloaded and installed. Maybe you can supply me with the download links for the download.

When I am checking in "device manager" in vista it runs the display from something called "VGASave". Also when checking properties for that device it says it has conflict with "Intel 5000X Chipset PCI Express x16 port 4-7 - 25FA". I have updated the drivers for this device from intels website. But this aint solving the problem. Only way to get more colours and resolution is to disable this device.

I also tried installing these WDM drivers, but I only get error message "try setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup".

GOD I hate windows :)

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
can u get the apple remote working with windows media center?

oh and frontrow pisses all over it lol :p
Couldn't disagree more. Media Center OWNS Frontrow. In every single way imaginable. You can do so many more things with Media Center it's sick, Frontrow is strictly a highly stylized iTunes widget. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple and my Mac just as much as the next Mac user, but Media Center is one thing that Microsoft developed much better than Apple developed Frontrow. They're not even in the same league.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.