windows vista performance vs xp results

Discussion in 'Games' started by steelfist, Jan 29, 2007.

1. steelfist macrumors 6502a

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/17/gameplay-only-gets-worse-with-vista/
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/

it seems the drivers aren't ready yet, coupled with the fact that windows vista is a hog on ram. some applications aren't optimized for vista yet, so some of the programs have slow performance. games, especially UT2004 are slower on vista than on xp.

for people who want to play windows xp games who are considering buying vista, wait until drivers, games and vista start working well together.

battery life seems about the same suprisingly, so laptop users, relax.

vista seems to be good on video and audio encoding performance charts though

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Vista is a work in progress, to be fair I cant think of any Microsoft software that was right from the get go. Its allways a big mess,patches and fixes and issues. Microsoft should just hire Apple to write all of its software.

3. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

That, my good sir, is the understatement of the century. :D
    Vista is by far the ram hoggiest OS POS I've ever seen.

Give me 2k or XP any day of the week if I've gotta use Windows. :)

4. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Haha I saw that earlier today. Vista is sucking so bad. Hopefully performance will improve over time, just as OS X did. But since it uses so much RAM...You'd probably need at least 2 GB instead of 1 GB to run optimally. It's really sad, because back then, OS X was already running on much slower hardware, and running Vista on decent hardware is still painful. I just looove David Pogue's review of Vista:

http://video.on.nytimes.com/ifr_mai...18ba6bx110556bfaf6x2903&rdm=45180.07245203826

Everytime I watch this, it makes me laugh. :D

5. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Microsoft's system requirements for any of their modern OS's is truly a load of crap.

Windows XP Professional
    (Windows 2000 is similar with the exception of a 133mhz cpu)

Don't know about any of you but XP runs like **** on 512 megs of ram and I wouldn't run it on anything lower than a 2gig cpu with 768 megs of ram. (Although it did run fairly well on my P3 866 with 768.)

2k runs great on a 256 meg system. Even 128 megs if you are light on background programs (like using AVG for antivirus instead of anything Norton/Symantec or McAfee puts out).

Vista's requirements are equally absurd.

Vista Business requirements
    Yes, I agree about needing 2 gigs of ram.
    Vista chugged on my laptop with 768; I haven't ran it on my desktop (P4 3.0C with a gig of Corsair DDR400) and don't want to hose my system, but, yes by and large I think we'll see a garbage performance with anything less than 2 gigs of ram.

What a waste. If I want the extra security features and I don't want to buy a Mac, I'll go install a Linux distro (like SuSe or Fedora). :rolleyes:

XP and 2k are solid OS's; I find no reason to upgrade.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll be sticking with XP then until there is noticable improvement over the only PC game I care for playing these days - HL2. Have to be a huge improvement seeing as my iMac runs at 1680*1050 with all the bells n whistles turned on!

7. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

The computers I have to put up with in the campus library are a 1.29 celeron from forever ago with 256! of RAM. OMG!

This computer can barely scratch it's own butt without resorting to slow HD based memory. :rolleyes:

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I agree with David. Windows did not copy OS X, Microsoft's is called "Windows" and Mac's is called "OS X".... the same???

9. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I would have expected Vista to be slower with it's minimum system requirement... BUt you have to remember Microsoft puts more effort into marketing rather than releasing quality products (MS Mice are excluded, they are the only good M$ product).

Vista will be like XP buggy for at least 2 years before some decent updates are there for users to download and install.

And wasn't it Bill Gates who said something to the extent of "If you can't make it work make it look pretty".

10. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Played around with Vista at Best Buy tonight. Wasn't too impressed with Aero. All the computers have at least 1GB of RAM. Lagged a bit when I clicked "Start". It's meh...

11. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

12. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

13. EM87 macrumors regular

I got myself a copy of Vista today but I have not yet built up enough confidence to install it on either my Mac :apple: or PC's. I did get a play around with it on my mates PC today and I must say that it is actually pretty good. Aero is not half as bad as I was expecting and the GUI in general is not as bad as it looks in the still images. After I had my little play with my mates I went and got myself a copy but when I got home I read some stuff about it being slower than XP etc so I have not yet installed it.

I will get back with some comments on it after I install it:)

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Hey, i'm currently running Xp on 256 ram and 1.9 ghz P4. Pretty slow but not too bad.

It is my parents machine from 2002.

Not my machine of choice, i do have a iMac Core 2 Duo 20" with 2Gb Ram, that runs windows XP too fast.