Windows Vista Review, Part 5: Where Vista Fails

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by Diatribe, Apr 20, 2006.

1. macrumors 601

Diatribe

Found this and though it was a pretty fun read.

I loved this part:

more: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5308_05.asp

2. Moderator emeritus

I'm genuinely interested.

Could someone please tell me how? Because Mr. Thurrot doesn't. Particularly if compared to Leopard; its nearest neigbour, so to speak.

3. macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Yeh, I think 10.5 willl clearly blow away Vista.

I hope so at least - it will really give Apple a chance ot shine, which will be nice for a change.

4. macrumors 68020

What I find astounding is that he gave it 5 out of 5 in his rating!

Clearly, he couldnt score it lower or the same as his Tiger review (4/5)

5. macrumors 68000

atari1356

Aside from having the ability to run Windows included in Leopard (on Intel Macs), what do we really even know about the new Mac OS?

I think it will blow away Vista too... but then, I think any version of Mac OS X would blow away Vista. ;)

6. macrumors bot

Windows Vista Review, Part 5: Where Vista Fails

[​IMG]

Category: Microsoft
    Link: Windows Vista Review, Part 5: Where Vista Fails
    Description:: Since the euphoria of PDC 2003, Microsoft's handling of Windows Vista has been abysmal. Promises have been made and dismissed, again and again. Features have come and gone. Heck, the entire project was literally restarted from scratch after it became obvious that the initial code base was a teetering, technological house of cards. Windows Vista, in other words, has been an utter disaster. And it's not even out yet. What the heck went wrong?

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

7. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

OMG - I linked a Thurrott article...

While there's no real Mac content in this article at all, I did want to point out that this may well be one of the best articles I've ever seen from good ol' Paul Thurrott. We're all so used to him blindly bashing the Mac that it's nice to see him turn his guns on his own for a change.

Read it if you'd like - you'll start wondering why Microsoft is even releasing Vista at all.

8. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I dunno it'll probably beat 10.0 (surely?!?) I mean XP is only slightly worse than 10.3 IMHO.

At this rate though with all of Vista's problems Apple *will* have a 95% market share in 5 years. If that shortcut "feature"s in the final release and I was using Windows Vista I'd throw my PC out the window.

It's interesting that since Paul is Microsoft's biggest fan and he hates Vista it's not looking good...

You can just see Apple's ad's for Leapard

"On Leapard you can even delete your own shortcuts without an admin password!"

9. macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Having trouble reading the article fully....

I can't seem to to complete it with shuddering at my minds image created by the line:

"quite a few garden variety Windows enthusiasts--charged into Hall A at the Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC) like teenage girls at a Justin Timberlake concert" .... eewwww

10. macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Wow, I NEVER thought Thurrot would actually admit that Vista sucks. Cos it does, and it will, forever. No matter how many kinks MS will try to workout over the next 5-6 years, there will always be massive holes and threats open to the wonderful world wide web.

11. macrumors regular

pacman7331

Roflmao!!!

"File Access Denied dialog explaining that you don't, in fact, have permission to delete a ... shortcut?? To an application you just installed??? Seriously? "

" Windows Vista, in other words, has been an utter disaster. And it's not even out yet..."

"Mark my words, this will happen to you. And you will hate it."

"Someday, it might be interesting--or depressing, at least--to create a list of features Microsoft promised for Windows Vista, but reneged on."

""The visuals in [Windows Vista] are just going to blow you away." Let those words hang in your mind for a bit. Two and a half years later, Microsoft has yet to ship Windows Vista, and..."

"Promises were made. Excitement was generated. None of it, as it turns out, was worth a damn..."

"If blame is to be assessed, we must start with Gates. He has guided--or, through lack of leadership--failed to guide the development of Microsoft's most prized asset. He has driven it into the ground..."

"they've also messied up the interface by overlaying a weird and unnecessary graphic behind the text bits. You know, just in case they were too easy to read."

"and yes, that includes that ridiculous Clippy character from older Office versions..."

"--build 5308 and 5342--and see where Vista just completely blows it. As with the broken promises, Vista's failures are legion, but..."

That these dialogs pop up repeatedly for the same action would be comical if it weren't so amazingly frustrating.

"More to the point, you can't tell topmost windows from other windows at all. And don't pretend you can."

"It's a horrid update to a wonderful bit of software, an ugly stepchild of beautiful parents. It's so bad, I don't even know where to start. "

"The bad news, then, is that UAP is a sad, sad joke."

PPPPPPPSFFFHFHFHHHHHFSSSSHHHHTTTTTT!! ... LOL LOL LOL!!! ROFLMAO!!! =D

12. macrumors regular

backupdrummer

Its like evil Paul.

I half expected his picture to have a goatee.

13. macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

OMFG I just started reading it and I think it just got a bit colder in hell. :eek:

... times are changing. :cool:

14. macrumors 68030

nbs2

The thing is, this was Part 5 of his review. He reserved this part to lambaste Vista for it's shortcomings. Parts 1-4 were there to talk about all of the great things about it. Of course one of the things he loved was the aero glass interface (which he hates here).

Kind of like a nasty car crash, I've felt compelled to follow the Vista story for a while now, observing through his site (plus, when you have to support a family member who uses Windows, it makes research much faster). I think he's disappointed, but hopeful with this. If it gets delayed one more time, I think he might implode (forcing his kids to learn an entirely new interface - and not the MC package on Vista).

15. macrumors G4

"The Mythical Man-Month"

It's very easy to know what went wrong. IBM had the exact same problem in the 1960's with their "next great do-everything Operating System". I suspect the enginerrs at MS are all to yong to have read this book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

It was required reading back when I was getting into this field in the 70's

16. macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

WOW! He just ripped Vista completely apart. It seems like a "I'm Mad as Hell, and I ain't going to take it anymore" piece. Very well done!

17. macrumors G5

nagromme

Wow--I had no idea it was that bad.

But Vista is a long way from release, MS may well scrap a lot of these mistakes--and put back in the removed features--between now and then. This is only a beta.

Doesn't sound good though!

And the UI chaos in those screenshots is just frightening. Media Center is the simplest one... and I count four different Play buttons :eek: No doubt some of them do different and exciting things, while some of them do the same thing :D

18. macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

How ugly is this!?
    [​IMG]

19. macrumors regular

pacman7331

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time...

20. macrumors 65816

I dont find that surpising at all.
    He is giving Vista slack right now that it should have because it is still in the Beta phase. In the Beta phase you can get a 5 out of 5 still having problems even some huge ones like the removing short cuts and it is a problem that will be fixed. Main thing is you know the software is working in that area it is now just needing some work to finish it up.

Tiger got a 4/5 because it had some problems at release it is no longer a beta program. Now if Tiger was still a beta at that time it would of gotten 5/5 but it wasnt. It was released to the public with problems that should of been fixed before hand. By 10.4.1 it had a lot of those things fixed but par as normal it takes apple at least 1 update to fix a few beta bugs.

Now when Vista gets to RC phase I would expect it to get less and less slack. RC is for fixing the final few things. The reviews as time gets close to the release date are going to become less and less forgiving. Right now Vista is a BETA so it should get a lot of slack

21. macrumors member

Is it just me, or does the screenshot of WMP 11 show songs organized by artist/album when "Songs" is selected? :confused:

22. macrumors 68020

I completely disagree.

If that is the case, then giving a rating on a beta is flawed and as such should be removed from the review.

23. macrumors 68030

iPhil

Of Course Not Thurott is M$ft wind boy :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

To keep the checks coming in,he needs to keep his reviews higher on M$ft items:eek: :rolleyes:

24. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

I was reading this article last night when deciding whether or not to post it, I actually found it to be a surprisingly interesting read.:eek: I didn't get round to reading all of the replies to the article on OSNEWS.

25. macrumors 6502a

Now I am waiting

for the Dvorak article where he predicts that Microsoft will get out of the Operating System business and focus on making apps for Mac OS X.