Windows Vista Screenshots

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by t^3, Jul 27, 2005.

1. t^3 macrumors regular

2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

um, microsoft... my files are falling out of my folders... :p

Attached Files:

3. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

star ratings of photos?! :eek: amazing advancement! and that "redesigned" start menu is to DIE FOR!

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

It's uh... grey now.

Amazing!

Why didn't they steal dashboard?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

6. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

That is baboon butt ugly! That can not be for real.
    If that is the U.I. they will be using, it might cause more people to switch, just to get away from that U.I..

That it something an uninspired 1st year design student would create.

[​IMG]

PITOOWEEE! :p

7. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

the UI isn't THAT bad, it's just a waste. they had years to work on a new one, and have all the resources to do something really amazing, but they were microsoft and made it incrementally different, probably to keep people from being scared away (or so they believe)

8. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Hey! There are big differences other than the color change! The "My" is gone! ;)

Seriously though, if the search bar in the start menu is a) fast and b) restricted to apps it might actually be a useful feature. Windows Key + Type app name + enter equals fast launcher. Of course, that's assuming Vista's WinSpotlight has search as you type. Anybody care to confirm or deny?

9. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Actually it is. Being able to simple type in a few letters and clicking the results will be much faster then start -> Programs -> Atari -> Civ 3 -> Civ 3. Or at least for those who don't org this start menu it will be. I don't know. I definitely will be running the beta when it comes out to see if there is anything worthwhile to WV. Right now I'm not overly excited from the GUI standpoint. Desktop X \ Windowblinds \ a few custom addins can pretty much do everything I'm seeing in these screenshots so.... *shrugs*

10. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

XP's\ MSN's search toolbar is search as you type so I'm 99% sure this will be as well. Should be fast since its using MS's indexing service which has gotten better and better with each version of Windows since 2000.
    I've found that the service in XP coupled with MS's search toolbar isn't as robust as Spotlight (Isn't that a given?) for things like metadata (There are plugins that can take care of this to an extent but its still a half***ed implimentation.) but it is damn fast.
    As for the My thing. Wow. I thought I was the only one who thought that was a retarded idea. What? Am I in special ed where I need to be told what is "my" stuff? Whenever I redo a system I always get rid of MY. And rename the recycle bin to Purged Files.

11. toothpaste macrumors 6502

Anyone impressed by what you are seeing so far? I'm not.

12. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

no I know the search thing is big, I hate the start menu method as it is now. but I was saying merely from a visual perspective, it's virtually identical

13. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

first off it ugly, it looks very much like an ugly x11 window manager. maybe an older kde, just ugly. And its way to busy, but that's always been a problem with microsoft apps. They are way to busy, too many icons, too many buttons...

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

From a visual point of view, Vista looks like a minor re-skin, nothing more.

...But what's under the hood?

15. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

I thought it was funny that even on the linked website there were people saying that it looked like Tiger and had copied many of its features... And they are supposed to be Windows users!!!

I think that the improvements that have been made over XP do not look like something that would take say 4 years to make. Why wasn't this system released in 2 or 3 years? They haven't spent their time wisely.... but it is only a couple of screen shots.... I don't think Windlight will be as good as our spotlight, maily becuase we have spotlight now! Well, like I was trying to say its too hard to tell from just a few screen shots so it might be a real improvement but I doubt it.

16. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I don't like that the scroll bar is white on white, blue on white is easier to track down.

Also, I think it's odd that they haven't put the scroll buttons together yet.

I can't handle them being apart.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

eh, doesnt do anything special for me, looks like they are doing too little but trying to show that they did a lot..... its just bland, and at times too much is going on, i like the smoothness of OS X, although a bit of consistency could help even Apple

18. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

And I still have not seen a single screenshot of those transparent title bars when two or more windows are maximized (which is how 99% of all windows are used in Winblows)

19. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Good point. Unless they break consistancy with the rest of the UI, that'll be VERY cluttered looking and hard to read. Hm...

20. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Boy, you said it... I agree with Lord Blackadder that I'd like to see what's under the hood, but that GUI is nasty. It's bad enough the XP GUI feels like it was designed by a bipolar 6-year-old, but jeez, talk about not being able to find anything...

<rant>Gods I hate Windows, I really do. Every time I do something to fix a co-worker's PC, its like the land of 1000 reboots. Usually, they've gotten themselves into some kind of problem that no reasonable OS would ever allow to happen in the first place, as well.</rant>

21. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Did anyone else notice that the magnifying glass icon on the search bar is exactly the same as finder's except the handle is tilted to the left? :confused:

22. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Yep, Windows still sucks. Now we know what way too much transparency looks like. :rolleyes:

23. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Other than some of the searching stuff, and probably Palladium, I'd tend to guess "not much." In order to get the thing shipping by CQ4 2006, they've had to strip out just about everything that was going to make it a worthwhile upgrade.

24. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah exactly, that was my first thought. Its the mirror image plus the colors are reversed.

How the heck do they figure that's a "redesigned" start menu?! The colors are different but other than that the changes are minimal.

The picture folder looks like a bad copy of iPhoto.

When my Windows friends get all excited about their new OS, I'll be like i've had all those features for 2 years now. :)

25. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Oh yeah, and the horrible use of screen real estate continues...