Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Pistol Pete, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

scheuled to arrive second half of 2006,will leopard be done by then?

just curious...so what do you all think of vista? what do you think the future of compatibility will be for mac and windows?

-Peter

2. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

3. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

I have a feeling windows vista is going to be a 95% copy of Mac OSX...if that's truly the case...I'll regret switching to apple.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't think anything Microsoft releases could make me regret my switch. :confused:

5. kant macrumors 6502

It's Longhorn's new name.

M$ made so many promises they're not going to be able to come through on that they had to rename it.

6. kant macrumors 6502

But the other 5% will be virii, spyware, adware, DRM, etc.

So I doubt you'll be feeling much regret.

7. Pistol Pete thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

what do you think about leopords relaese and future compatibility?

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's what Teh Steve said. It's a lot easier for Apple to turn out a new release whenever they want, because they (usually) don't mouth off about new features until they have them up and running. So, if anything cool is cut, it's mostly invisible to the public.
    I think that in practical terms, it's going to amount to a reskin no matter how much things really change under the hood. An awful lot of the software out there is still happy with what Win 9x provides, and I have a funny feeling that won't be changing too much given that half the current Windows base still hasn't adopted the 5-year-old XP yet. There will need to be some really cool user-accessible services added to make it worth the trip.
    About the same as today, I suppose....