Windows won't read my external hd...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dale Cooper, May 31, 2006.

1. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

I have a LaCie external hd that's working fine with OSX (formatted in Mac Os X extended), but windows won't recognice it. Windows reports it as a "removable media", but when I try to "enter" it I'm asked to "Please insert a disc" (like with a floppy drive). Doesn't windows read Mac OSX Extended?

2. FragTek macrumors 6502

AFAIK Windows won't read anything formatted in a Mac file structure. Correct me if I'm wrong though!

3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

4. FragTek macrumors 6502

Man that program brings back a few memories... I remember reading about that program quite some time ago in its very early stages. I rememberd thinking to myself "man that's awesome! now I can share files with my mac buddies".

Glad to see that they are still supporting it. I'll definately have to put that on my BootCamp drive so that I can access my music files on the FireLite!

5. x86 macrumors regular

x86

You can format the drive into the FAT32 format in which both operating systems will read. I had a bit of trouble getting OS X to format FAT32 above the 4GB mark in the past, so I would recommend formatting it with Windows if you so choose. This way you don't have to spend any money. :)

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

X should format FAT32 (it calls it MS-DOS i think) up to any size. It's actually Windows that won't let you format FAT32 beyond around 30GB (for some reason known only to MS) without a third-party app.

I have a 200GB drive in FAT32 (formatted on the Mac), with no issues on either side.

FAT32 does come with some limitations - most particularly the inability to take files larger than 4GB each (like DVD images)

7. Dale Cooper thread starter macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

Thanks guys! Guess I'll try Macdrive, and then format if it doesn't work...

8. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

I've been using Macdrive for a while now. I use it when running Windows through Boot Camp, and when using my Lacie drive on my Windows system.

Check your Lacie bundled software. My Lacie drive was bundled with Macdrive.