Windows worm named itunes.exe

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

link
    It hasn't done a lot of damage so far, but I hope this worm doesn't spread any bad feelings about Apple or iTunes, since Apple obviously had nothing to do with it.

The lowlifes who write these programs use any popular name or phrase to get people to install or run adware or other unfriendly software, and iTunes is certainly a name people know.

2. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Not cool at all. Don't these teen hackers have anything better to do with their time?

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think its funny that the app that they came up with that will universally appeal to Windows users as pure harmless fun is an app written by Apple! :eek: :D

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It could be several things, and more than likely not some "teen hacker." Virus writers typically aren't hackers, and vise versa.

Perhaps it's an attack ont he Apple brand, trying to coerce bad feelings toward the brand, perhaps it's a clever intrusion method because the writerr knows it's sucha widely embraced application. Perhaps it's a Linux or Mac user attacking Windows. then again, it could be an anti-virus firm that wrote it and distributed it to gain sales of their anti-virus software.

You just don't know.

Most teens that hack are script kiddies and know nothing about what real hacking takes.

I'd venture to say that this is a brilliant plan and if executed to the author's plans, will gain him access to lots of information he should not have. But, what do I care. I own a Mac! LMAO

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Windows worm named itunes.exe

What does it do- install windows media player? ;)

6. spacefreak4 macrumors member

Its file name may appear familiar to users as it is similar to the name of a popular media player from Apple Computer.

What popular media player are they talking about?
    ;) ;)

Yah, just kidding, by the way.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Now that was funny :p

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Teens? Nah. Microsoft wrote this, partnered with Nappy. ;)

llama :D :rolleyes:

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Glad you enjoyed that MacDawg! :)

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Apparently one of the 'clever' things about this is that not only does it install showing iTunes but the name of the process stays as iTunes so if people check their Task Manager and are used to seeing iTunes there, they still will. Of course, if they're listening to music, they'll see 2 iTunes which might confuse them!

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Posts like that make me wish we had the rep system enabled :)

12. fitinferno macrumors 6502

I just saw this one in the laptop surgery at my school. Luckily, it was named "itune.exe" and the girl's computer didn't have itunes on it at all...so it was pretty easy to clean overall. But after this, I'm quite sure she was all negative about getting iTunes...which is ironic because she had so many viruses one completely knocked out the functionality of the Windows Media Player...