Windows XP 64bit on Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jopling, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Jopling macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    Does Windows XP 64 Bit Edition work with the new Mac Pros and if so, will a normal Windows XP Pro serial key work with this version?
  2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    Why would you want to install Windows XP 64 on your Mac? That is pointless. If you want Windows install Windows. But you won't see any performance increase out of Windows XP 64.

I don't think the XP key will work on XP 64.
  3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    If you have bought XP 64 then you will have the correct key. Otherwise you appear to be discussing pirating software which is not allowed around here.
  4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    I thought XP 64 was free software for owners of XP.
  5. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I think they give you a new key when you register for the upgrade.
  6. projectle macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2005
    you used to be able to exchange your license for x64 due to the fact that microsoft kept delaying it and not complying with their agreement with amd, which stated that if you make the processors, we will make a version of windows to support it just like we did with itanium.

that exchange policy has since ended, so no you can not do it any more. However, you can go to pretty much any computer builder store and buy a copy for the same price as professional full.

Although, under x64, you will not see any performance increase unless you are doing database work or playing one of a couple games that actually support native 64-bit code execution (UT2004 and Farcry). In those games, your performance increase will be about 15-20%, however all of your normal 32-bit games will be running in 32-bit to 64-bit conversion emulation, making them usually perform about 20-30% slower than they would under the native 32-bit OS (this is something that microsoft has resolved in the most recent build of vista). In the latest case, 32-bit applications can run up to twice the speed in vista x64 due to the fact that they have a conversion layer that instead of writing zeros to fill in a 64-bit calculation, they take two 32-bit calculations and stack them in the same cycle.

If you want x64 in Windows, you should really look to Vista because it's implementation is really much better than XP x64.
  7. Jopling thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    Thanks... and No its not pirated Software. You can burn any MS OS without breaking the law. You buy the lisence for that product, not the actual software. I just wanted to know if the lisence was transferable. Looks like I'll be waiting for Vista if I even decide on poisoning my system.
  8. mbensen macrumors newbie

Aug 23, 2006

does windows xp pro 64bit run with bootcamp / on MacPro?