Windows XP Adverts...!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hob, Jun 23, 2005.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Sorry, I'm not getting all microsoft-obsessed, although I just started another thread on microsoft - but I just saw a Windows XP advert... which although I knew it wasn't apple (too tacky) I thought it should've been...

It had a woman saying how much she liked breakups, so she could just get on her guitar and laptop and get on with her album... So of course she uses Windows XP...

Anyone else seen this? Wonder how long Apple will be on their new ad's...?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I guess some of us are easily impressed. However, I doubt that most Windows users can even figure out what the ads are trying to sell. The metric by which ads are judged is sales. I don't think these ads make the cut.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, been seeing a lot of WinXP TV ads recently, still jacks*** from Apple :rolleyes:

That XP ad is a good one too. Apples advertising team (as ever) need a good swift kick up the backside.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There are a lot of MS ads at the moment. Those 'your potential, our passion' ones drive me nuts since I can never figure out what easily available, cheap MS software you're supposed to use to achieve that potential (except for the flight one I guess)

Case in point - a woman at work said that her son was taking up the piano. She'd seen the advert with the boy playing an imaginary grand piano and asked me what software she could get to keep him interested in playing music on her new XP but without spending too much in case he didn't like it. Aside from a few 'teach yourself' piano guides I found online, I was flummoxed. So why, she asked, are they advertising it? :confused:
    And yes, she was a little miffed when I showed her Garageband...

5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I saw it

and it was really really bad. What they dont tell you is - yeah you can make music with XP, but you have to spend another X amount of money to do so.

With Apple, you get what you need already installed and included in the price of your Mac..

Thats one thing Microsoft need to address before Macs run Intel. They need to get a worthy alternative to iLife. Their windows movie maker is awful. I guess there'll be something included with Longhorn.

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Your talking about the Start Something (...Please!) ads

yeah I see them every so often

The ads are simply there to remind users that XP is still here after 4 years in existence and for you to "Start Something" because Microsoft are unable to finish something :p

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yep - i can not understand why they are trying to flog a 4year old product talk about flogging a dead horse ,

o well whats that saying ?

arr thats right ... You Can't Polish a Turd

8. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

I guess they've heard the rumours about Apple ad's and jumped the gun... But yes, that "your potential, our passion" one with the school just had me grinding my teeth!! Apple REALLY need to get some ad's out! They better blow these ones away too!!

9. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

So... f***in... true... :D

10. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Microsoft seldom "makes" anything. They buy out little guys. They copy things (poorly). Any Microsoft alternative to iLife would be a mishmash of low-rent apps with newly applied Microsoft splash screens. They really just don't get it. Never have. Never will. Of course, 95% of the software creators out there don't either, so it's obvious that whatever Microsoft would create to compete against iLife would not have to be good– it would just have to be pre-installed. - j

11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

To play devil's advocate: so does Apple. They've purchased quite a few startups/established companies and absorbed their products. Key example: SoundJam.

At the heart of it all, Apple is just a marketing company. Yes, they have unique products and an internationally acclaimed design team (among other positives). But it makes no difference how great your product is, if people don't know about it and then buy it. Microsoft is *known*. They get their products out there, and people buy them regardless of quality.

12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Yes, Apple HAS bought some companies and has apparently copied other's work, but they create a LOT on their own.

People in general DON'T buy Microsoft products. The OS comes on the machine. Businesses buy Office because it's a standard.

Microsoft is so well known that they get credit for anything related to computing. Bill Gates invented the internet and Microsoft makes the iPod....

13. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I disagree with this. In my experience, if people are looking for a product, many times they look to MSFT first. Simple account management? Money. Simplistic desktop publishing? Publisher. Web development? Frontpage. Many users end up with machines that have almost nothing but MSFT products on it (for basic uses). This is very similar to the approach that Apple is taking with their software nowadays.

14. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

ohhh! what about the one where they say all they gotta do is type it in your computer and your telescope looks at where you want it? how much does THAT telescope cost? i bet its more than the computer!!

15. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've seen this one countless times and it gives me the shi*s everytime. Its as if MS gives you the telescope and software. This should be in a Meade commercial instead, they make the software to do that.

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

No - Windows has that all included also!

Sound Recorder, from like 1998
    Windows Movie Maker from like 2001

Ok, so I see your point... :p

17. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

The difference is that Apple is giving higher quality products away for FREE with the purchase of a new system.

I see your point with PC users. Unfortunately for the group as a whole, the general computing experience for PC users is MUCH worse than for Mac users because of the amount and high percentage of absolutely CRAPPY software out there (to which Microsoft contributes greatly, allowing the common man to create common products). The general level of quality for Mac programs is several steps higher than that in the land of CompUSA bargain bins and if all you use is sucky software, that's all you know. I see it all the time when I visit my dad and he's showing me how he can do all this stuff with only 3 times as many programs, 5 times as many steps, and in only 10 times as much time as it takes me to do them on a Mac. It absolutely KILLS me to watch him waste his time like that and he has no idea that his way can be seen as a CHORE.

So yes, if something costs under $30 and says Microsoft on it, a PC user will probably buy it because Microsoft invented computing, cable TV, satellite radio and microwave popcorn. They've got to be a good company because they're so rich and besides, if they didn't make good products, why would everybody be using them?

Sad... but true...

18. IanC macrumors regular

When i saw this ad i thought shed have better luck getting a Powerbook and using Garage band, lol

19. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

:rolleyes: They are talking about the software. Duh and in the case of starry night it will run you $150. The point of the ad was that you CAN do this.