Windows XP: Anything similar to System Profiler?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ColoJohnBoy, Aug 15, 2005.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    My friend Jerry has a Dell Inspiron 8600 he's wanting to sell in order to upgrade (I almost have him sold on the 15" PowerBook). He can't remember the specs, nor can he find the box it came in. Does Windows XP have anything similar to the Mac OS X System Profiler? I'm having a hell of a time finding it.
  2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    This comes to mind:

Right click on "My Computer." Most basic info should come up in the default box. Click on the hardware tab and then click on "device manager."
  3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    I think you can also go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information which gives you some other info, but not a lot (well it's not obvious what it all is).
  4. carlos700 macrumors regular

Dec 17, 2004
    Omaha NE
    Windows XP has the specs scattered everywhere.

You can find:
    Processor and Memory: using the system properties control panel
    Hard Drive, DVD: using the device manager
    Basic Graphics Card: using the device manager
    Detailed Graphics Card: using the setting section of the display properties control panel

For other info there is also a program called system information but it's bad. There also might be a 3rd party program like system profile.

Note: Download CPU-Z (it's free) for extreme detail on the processor, logic board, and memory
  5. macmanmatty macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    I have calculated my velocity so precisely that a
  6. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    I use Photoshop, yes, Photoshop . It tells me everything. Its called 'system info' under the help menu...
  7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

That's probably one of the more expensive ways of finding out though. It'd almost be cheaper to just buy a new Dell and then read the specs off the receipt. :p
  8. krimb1 macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2006
    Hey guys,

Although I'm posting this 2 years late I hope it will be useful for everyone. :)

I was trying to find a similar program and found a perfect freeware application called PC Wizard. You can get it here