Windows XP boots on the Mac: will you still buy Mac OS X games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by oingoboingo, Mar 15, 2006.

1. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    A question to the Mac OS X gamers out there: assuming that the recent news of Windows XP successfully booting on Intel Macs isn't a hoax, and that things like good video driver support are sorted out, will you still continue to wait for companies like Aspyr and Feral Interactive to port PC games to Mac OS X, or will you simply buy Windows games when they are released and dual boot your Mac?

Personally, I doubt I will buy another Mac OS X native game again (and I have bought quite a few since I got my G5 back in 2003). With a dual-boot Intel Mac, I would be willing to put up with the minor inconvenience of dual-booting to gain access to PC games as soon as they are released.

Thoughts? Will people here still be buying native Mac OS X games to play on their Intel Macs?
  2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I may, if either (A) I never picked up the PC version and the Mac version came out or (B) they stepped up and released Mac and PC versions simultaneously.

I wouldn't be buying late ports of highly anticipated games.

This is all assuming that we can get drivers and get decent performance out of the Intel Macs on Windows.

The thing is, since I have a lot of PC's in the house, being able to buy one PC version of a game and use it on everything would be very useful.
  3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I'd buy a Mac game only if it came out at the same time and it wasn't much more money than the PC version.
  4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I'll buy a Windows game every now and then, probably, but I will definitely continue to buy Mac-native games.
  5. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'll be sticking to OS X on my Macs (Intel or not) so yes I'll keep buying OS X games.
  6. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2006
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Nope, I'll be gettin PC games. Here in NZ the mac version of a game is hard to come by, and when you do find it, it is about 5 times the price.
  7. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles, California
    hell yes. that means a huge library of games. but luckely, i have a dedicated Gaming PC built about 3 months ago. ill prolly always own a pc so its not a big deal for me
  8. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    As long as there'll be a Mac version of the game I want to play, I'll wait for it. Only if there were Windows-only games, I really want to play, I'd buy a Windows game,
  9. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I will probably only buy games for Mac OS X. I am not much of a gamer and the almost never find a FPS that I enjoy playing for more than 5 min so I have no need to deal with Windows gaming. If there is a Windows only game that I REALLY want then I might get it but so far that hasn't happened. The only other way I would use Windows for gaming is if I got the game free as a gift or it is a freeware game.
  10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It would have to be a very special game to make me want to buy a Windows-hosted game. I'd rather do a job porting one.

I'd rather show my support for Mac OS X, wherever possible.
  11. demallien macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2005
    My mac stays permanently on, so that when I want to watch TV, listen to music, surf the net, or do any of the other things that I do all the time with my Mac, they are ready to go straight away.

So, Dual-booting just to play a game is not going to cut it for me. I'll be holding out for a PC Virtualisation technology that is sufficiently hardware accelerated to let me play PC games. Until then, I'll be sticking with Mac games.

Anyway, on that point, I prefer adventure games. VirtualPc on my G5 can handle (just) Riven, which is good enough for me. I find most cutting-edge games that rely heavily on graphics for their appeal to be not terribly.... appealling :)
  12. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    I'll still buy any Mac game that comes out for the Mac, no matter how late it is. But games that are not ported I'd buy for windows (the star wars online game, some of the Lord of the Rings games, etc.......cause I'd like to play those).
    The one year warranty on my PB runs out in October, so I'll be selling it then (instead of paying $300 for AppleCare extended) and get a MacBook Pro. I'll then start considering buying windows only games as long as this boot-xp-on-a-Mac project is full-blown and going well.
  13. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    Why buy PC software? If I want a game, I wait for the Mac version. The last game I bought for myself was UT in 2000. Not a hardcore gamer. Besides, I could care less about booting into Windows on a Mac. I don't own a PC, I don't like working on a PC, I don't like Microsoft, why would I care about booting into Windows just to play a game. IMO, games are the last thing on Apples agenda. They make computers that work, people want them to do things that are important to them (email, work, photos, music, etc).
  14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    And many of us use them to game. The gaming market (computer gaming and console gaming) bring in about $20 Billion a year. Maybe this doesn't pertain to you, but it does for a lot of people. It is very costly to have a Mac and a gaming quality PC. Combining the two would be great.

There are other programs that this would be useful for. I have to do .NET programing from time-to-time. It would be nice to do it locally instead of remotely. I'm sure others have many more useful examples.
  15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    I myself would *prefer* Mac versions of games so long as they performed just as well and were competitively priced.

What bothers me is that all these Mac ports get released far after the PC version and are very expensive (look up Never Winter Nights!); also they sometimes do not work with the PC versions when on a LAN.

So for games I want to use for LAN gaming I would by for Windows unless I was certain the Mac version could LAN with PC versions.

UT and Blizzard games are pretty good about Mac support so I'm not too worried in that regard.
  16. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    So, you're telling me that a 50 dollar PC game costs 250 as a Mac game? :rolleyes:

I want what you're on.
  17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Same. The only games I might tolerate dual-booting for are ones like STALKER (if it ever gets released), FEAR, Half-Life 2, etc
  18. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    You forgot to add " full retail price."

Yea, I wouldn't do this either. Wait, I don't do it now!

Sorry, but these late ports at full retail price on the Mac are just a joke. I wouldn't give one wit if Mac gaming entirely died out from this; no big loss.
  19. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    Uhh no, but a 4 year old PC release which is now selling in the bargain bin for $10 , while the 1 year late Mac port is still selling for $50.
  20. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    Unless you're totally obsessed with a particular game, rebooting to play it, and then rebooting again to get back to OS X, is too annoying to deal with on a regular basis. Plus, in order to dual boot Windows, you have to buy Windows, which is something I'm not willing to do. The only way I'd play Windows games is with something like WINE, where there's no rebooting and no Windows involved.

21. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    For me, I would most likely get the PC version of the game. I don't like waiting years for a port that might never come into existence. The Mac versions of games also tend to have low priority, so they aren't patched very often and tend to have more bugs, as well as not performing anywhere close to the PC version. Not to mention, if you want to let a friend borrow the game, or install it on another PC of yours, the Windows version will just work.

TES: Oblivion is set to come out in less than a week. Would you rather wait for a Mac port that probably won't ever happen (as with Morrowind), or just pick up the PC version and enjoy it right away? I know which option i'd choose.