Windows XP N?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CubaTBird, Jun 25, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It's a order from the EU. All signs point to a bust, from what I hear.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Sounds pretty pointless to me. I actually like WMP. I wish Quicktime had some of the same features. I would do anything for Quicktime to be able to double click for full screen. But that would be a super duper "Pro" feature.

jon

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I never even heard of it until just now.

I think computer retailers should also be forced to have copies of this software in stock to give people the choice when they buy their computer. There's no reason for the EU to force Microsoft into giving consumers a choice when the consumer doesn't have a choice at the point of sale.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The real problem with Windows XP N is that Microsoft has been allowed to charge the same for that as the "regular" XP. So, how many buyers will pay the same for "less"...???

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

While that's true, I wanna know how many people buy full versions of Win XP? Most people get their operating system when they buy their computer. This is why I'm bothered by the fact that stores aren't forced to provide XP N as a choice at the point of sale. The EU's ruling serves no purpose if customers aren't given the choice of XP N when they buy the machine, because consumers certainly aren't gonna buy a new system with XP preinstalled, and then go and buy the XP N upgrade pack or full version just to get Windows Media Player off their system.

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Funny name. I would have expected the regular version of XP not to be available anymore to be more fair. I would hate to buy Mac OS X N without quicktime. Apple, continue to stay under the radar.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i heard about this ages ago, thanks ComputerActive! but it is quite pathetic. Microsoft being forced to remove its monopoly. fantastic news for Apple though. as Tiger continues to get better and as cheap as it already is, Microsoft are still flogging a 5 year old OS now without its native media player for god knows how much!

ill shed a tear for microsoft.

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Its because, as many Windows users know, Windows Media Player is the default for EVERYTHING, although its very easy to change.

The stupidest thing ever... not gonna work, its probibly gonna prompt you for it every day

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yeah, rather than forcing them to ship it without any Media Player (what happens when they do their first XP update?), wouldn't it have been easier to just ship it with Real and Quicktime in it too?

It's one reason why part of me hopes that Apple doesn't get too big. I like iLife being integrated... and don't care if I can't use Windows Moviemaker.

11. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

The European Union really gets on my <insert different word for a nipple>. It's fascist, telling companies what and when they can sell their own products. It gets on my nerves that they can tell Microsoft to do.

GRRR!

This almost wants me to promote Windows XP

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I agree. I have never really met anyone who wishes they could get WMP off or wish it never came with their computer. Same as I've never heard of anyone wishing Apple didn't ship their computers with Quicktime.

jon