Windows XP OEM

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ghall, Dec 5, 2006.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Can I use an OEM copy of Windows XP in bootcamp.

Also whould you recommend Home or Pro?

2. JKitterman macrumors member

If you bought the OEM copy when you got your Apple, then yes it would be technically ok. Otherwise, you need a full blown copy.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW it has been reported that you might not be able to take advantage of the Vista upgrade coupon if the license didn't come with a complete system...

B

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Personally, I don't really care about Vista. I've tried the beta. It's just a bunch of so-called "eyecandy". XP should be good enough for what I need it for.

6. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

I agree wholeheartedly. and if you don't like the look of xp, there are hundreds of themes online, some of which are actually really nice. anyway, i believe that only 1 core is utilized in home, but both are utilized in pro. anyway, some BIOS hacking should be able to change that. hope this helps!
    -wmmk

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No, XP Home supports dual core, but not dual processor. That is, you can use two cores on all Macs, but on the Mac Pro two of the four cores are not utilized.

8. frankm007 macrumors regular

Nice price! Can I install this as many times as needed?

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Only on the same hardware (i.e. machine). OEM licenses are bound to hardware, not a user like a retail copy. Microsoft may also give you a hard time after so many activations, requiring a simple phone call to explain.