Windows XP on a PPC Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sawtooth811, Jan 31, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

I've seen many people hack OS X on a PC. How can you install Windows XP on a Mac BESIDES Virtual PC, Boot Camp, Parallels, and all that crap? THERE HAS TO BE A WAY!

2. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. There isn't. Sorry. Get an Intel. If your name is any indicator, it's time for an upgrade, anyway.

3. macrumors 68040

killmoms

Nope.

EDIT: Okay, just because you clearly need some education in this area, the reason people can "hack OS X on a PC" is because Macs ARE PCs now. There's nothing particularly special about their hardware compared to a run-of-the-mill PC, besides the fact that they use EFI instead of BIOS.

Boot Camp is really just a tool to partition the drive—there were several firmware updates for early Intel Macs' EFI firmwares to provide a BIOS-emulation mode so that Windows could run natively on them. So, Boot Camp is pretty much the same (in reverse) as what people are doing to make "Hackintoshes."

PPC Macs are left out in the cold because at a base level their hardware is not x86-based. PowerPC chips are a completely different architecture/instruction set, so to run x86 stuff on them you have to emulate an x86 CPU, which is slow. There's no PowerPC-compiled version of Windows XP, so you're out of luck.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Is it possible if I made my PPC mac "think" it's intel based processor? THEN will it work?

5. macrumors 6502a

superleccy

No, it won't.

Although I am curious to know how you'd make your PPC Mac think it is Intel... and how you'd know once you'd achieved this.

SL

6. Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL.

Take it to a cheap motel and waterboard it until it swears it's an Intel processor?

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Yeah, but I saw someone hack PANTHER on a PC, and of corse thats 100% PPC Based. It's just dumb that XP is full of x86 support crap. I totally forgut that PPC doesn't support x86.

8. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Unless you're a god of programming and have full access to the source code for Windows XP, you're f***ed.

I'm sure you can find a cheap Pentium III or 4 PC on Craigslist.

Then just get a KVM, and swap between the two.

And on hacking Panther, that was probably Panther running in PearPC.

Keep up your threads though, I always enjoy your humorous questions. :)

9. macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

if you WERE to use virtual PC, on a PPC mac, on a 1.33ghz iBook with 1.5gb ram, i only really found it good for solitaire, nothing more!

you can get an intel machine pretty cheaply on ebay now, perhaps a macmini?

10. Moderator emeritus

yellow

I saw Linux on a bar of soap, once.. It's amazing what you can do with Linux!

11. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

Just not possible. CPU architecture, instruction sets, etc, etc are completely different. BIOS's/OS's/Applications are written CPU-specific to an extent. T'aint gonna happen.

PPC's (G4 & G5) are left with VirtualPC. G3's supported the Orange PC card, and Apple sold the DOS card for a while. OS 8.1 was the last system that supported this method.

12. Moderator emeritus

yellow

However, the OP is skillful at soldering. I think it can be done, oh ye of little faith.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

change the name in open firmware, just like you make your PPC "think" it's running at the speed you want it to say.

14. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Teehee! If only life was that simple.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

I thought it was os 8.6 that last supported this.

Yep, I agree! I HATE THIS!!!!

THANKS!! LOL!!!:D:D:D

16. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Are you suggesting you run Windows XP (for whatever god awful reason you'd want to) on your 533MHz G4? Riiiight. Go get a job kid and buy a PC if that's what you fancy.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Mac Mini's used to be my "Dream Mac Machine" back when they were G4's, but now it is impossible for it to fit my needs. It isn't the right Mac for me, and I'm a broke 15 year-old (spending only $20 on upgrades for my current Sawtooth,) who can't afford a current Mac.

18. macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

PPC and intel are fundamentally different. It'd be like putting diesel in a petrol car and expecting it to work. Just wont happen. Or telling a giraffe that he's now the eiffel tower. Totally different.

19. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

PC's stands for Piece of Crap, and I'm trying to do this in a "NO $" way. Besides, around where I live, it's almost impossible for a 15 year-old to make enough money in time to get a new Mac!

I QUIT!:mad:

20. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You don't say!
    (this was more than obvious)

21. macrumors member

I'm a 15 year old as well, and hell you're right!! :D

22. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If you know how to trick it into reading a different binary....:confused:

23. macrumors 6502

This guy's a tad loony, isn't he?

24. macrumors 6502

nazuk

He is 15, what did you expect !!

Some 15 year olds think money grows on trees, just ask their parents!! :D

25. macrumors G5

yg17

So your Mac is a piece of crap then? Macs are PCs. PC stands for Personal Computer. Last time I checked, a Mac is a personal computer.

Anyways, it is absolutely in no way possible, not with any amount of technical knowledge, not with any amount of money, not with any amount of anything to get Windows XP running on a PPC Mac outside of Virtual Machine. It just is not, in any way, possible. 2 completely different, incompatible processor architectures. You can beg and plead all you want on internet forums, it is just not going to happen. Ever.

Um, no, it's not dumb that "XP is full of x86 support crap." x86 is the most common type of processor in PCs and has been for ages, it only makes sense Microsoft would write Windows to run on x86. Apple are the idiots for not adopting x86 sooner.