Windows XP Pro Installation probs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hunts121, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2005
    I'm reinstalling windows on my friends computer and for some reason it won't let me delete the current partition that its on (a fresh install whiping out everything). I've done this many times on other computers, this is the first one that won't allow me to do so.

It says something about setup backup files being on the computer?? What does this mean, I know this is a mac forum but I've got help here before for other windows problems haha. I know he has compressed some of his HD, could that have something to do with it? I have the setup configured to run off the CD so I really don't know what else it could be
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    I'd just download one of the various Linux rescue discs and wipe out the hard drive with that, then start over with the Windows install. These won't care about partitions that Windows thinks are sacred.
  3. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Or join a Microsoft Support forum, where you will be called names and flamed into oblivion.
  4. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL

Its your friend assuming there is a floppy on the system.

Assuming you can still get back into Windows (Depending on how far setup got.) do the following:

1. Click START -> Run
    2. type cmd and click OK
    3. In the command line type: chkdsk c: /f
    4. You will get the following error:
    4A. Hit Y.
    5. Reboot. It will look for any bad sectors, etc. Once its down it will reboot again.
    6. Boot from the CD
    7. It will prompt to recover or install a new copy. Hit enter.
    8. Accept the license.
    9. Hit esc to install a fresh copy.
    10. Highlight the partition and hit D.
    11. Hit L
    12. You are back at the main screen. Hit C to create a new partition.
    13. Hit enter to select that partion to install XP once its created.

(Yes this was from memory. I've done this more then a few times.)

If that doesn't work you can go to the above site and create a bootfloppy with Fdisk (To kill the partition.) on it. Use a Windows 89 boot floppy. They are the most robust. By the way how old is this computer. The problem you are having sounds like a the first signs of a bad hard drive.
  5. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL

No. As long as you don't come into the forum trashing MS you should be fine. Its when you start acting like an *** is when you get baked.
  6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Are you using a Win XP install disk or a manufacturer supplied "restore" disk? If it's the latter it may well be that there is a hidden partition on the harddrive that has the actual Windows setup files on it and you can only do a restore not a wipe and install.