Windows XP Registering in VPC7?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Jan 16, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I tried registering XP on the first day, but I needed an Serial because I used an OEM XP disc. I found a serial (no, not a pirated one, a real one from when my dad bought XP 3 years ago). I launch Windows and it says I have 29 days left to register. so I click the bubble... but then it says I already registered... but that bubble keeps coming up everytime I start up VPC...

whats going on here... I dont want this XP dieing on me in 29days because of some stupid bug/error
    :confused:

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Try reinstalling Windows XP and see if it does it again. If it does, then I'd call Microsoft and explain the situation. You can usually confuse them into activating your copy as you'll most likely get someone from India that you can't understand.

Just make up a good story about something and say you need it to be activated.

3. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

hmm, there apparently must be a problem with the activation. i wouldnt reinstall again because that will use up the number of times to install xp. I would just call microsoft and explain what is going. the chances are that this could be a common problem. considering you have the first version of xp. now that i think of it have you had the chance to update xp to service pack 2? if not try that first before calling. there could be a small bug causing this.

4. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

lol, I really dont want to call Microsoft support or anything... its not like im gonna be using XP a lot anyway

I guess I'll try installing SP2. I basically installed all updates except for SP2

5. iPost macrumors regular

The registration is tied to the serial number, so of course it is saying it is already registered. I ran into a similar problem a few years ago. I had installed XP on a system that my IT department wanted back (they were going to install Windows 2000 on it which was the official company OS back then and give the computer to a temp) while giving me a new computer.

Because Microsoft does not offer a deactivation feature (like iTunes), when I tried to install XP on the new computer using the same serial number, it said it was already registered.

I called the support number that appeared on the screen and I explained the situation to the person on the phone, and to their credit, they were extremely pleasant and gave me a new registration key without asking a single question (or accusing me of anything... I mean, I could have been lying). Of course, this whole activation procedure sucks anyway... we shouldn't have to call anyone to install original software that we paid for.

But my advice is to call... you'll get your problem fixed and you'll end up costing Microsoft a few bucks in support costs ;-)

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

This is the only way you will be able to use it after 30 days. If they give you a hard time, let them know the old PC was junked. It was...wasn't it ;)

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

OEM copies of Windows XP (that is, ones that come on recovery CDs and the like, from companies like Sony, Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) usually do NOT require Windows XP product activation, as the CDs typically can't be used on any machine other than the one they came with. If the Windows XP CD is like a normal CD (that is, not OEM-specific), then activation MAY be required... but you have to use the correct product key, the one that came with that CD. It doesn't sound like you've done that, so your activation is incomplete.

What you should try doing is to reinstall Windows XP cleanly, using your dad's Windows XP CD *and* the accompanying product key.

BTW, you can INSTALL Windows XP as many times as you like... it's the ACTIVATION part that's limited. And, registration and activation are two totally different things; you can be registered but not activated, and vice versa.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There are apps such as Reset which will allow you to bypass the activation. Unfortunately, Reset doesn't seem to be compatible with SP2 (although there may be a newer version now that is). Also, if you know where to look, you'll be able to find a 'corporate' version of XP, which doesn't require activation or patching or anything like that :D