Windows XP updates. Do you, do you not?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wchong, Oct 14, 2006.

Do you update your windows XP in your iMac.

1. Yes

2. No

1. wchong macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    When using windows XP through bootcamp do you install the windows updates or do you not?

sometimes i notice that when i do it on a normal pc the computer loses performance.

would you recommend downloading the updates or just get a firewall such as ZoneAlarm and an antivirus such as AVG anti-virus.
  2. seanf macrumors 6502

Aug 8, 2006

Sean :)
  3. ascender macrumors 65816

Dec 8, 2005
    Its pretty essential you install the updates if you are connected to the web as there are often vital security fixes released. Its an inherent problem with XP that over time the computer does slow a bit (although not as bad as previous version of Windows) and you could do with a complete reinstall to get it back up to speed.
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    i believe most (if not all) of the latest updates were security-related so if you do anything on the Internet on the Windows side, it is best to update.

a complete reinstall, as suggested by ascender, would still require you to install the updates, although i believe a complete reinstall of windows is often the only way to fix certain issues. a disk cleanup and defrag usually work for me, though.
  5. ddekker macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2006

heck yes man... do the updates.. load AVG and Windows defender... no need for any zone alarm or anything, with the patches and two free softwares the thing should be great.. I find XP to be an okay platform, I have been using both everyday for quite a while now, I have my issues with both XP and OS X, so much so I started a website to voice the issues I have/had switching to OS X.... take a look around, might give you a different outlook on things

6. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    Yes indeed, WinXP updates are a must-have, use a nice firewall, antivirus (Avast! is a good free option) spyware (Windows Defender might work for you) and you'll be golden, I've had my current PC since 2004... its still as fast as the day I got it (in fact I tweaked the hell out of it so its actually faster) so its a complete myth that WinXP slows down over time.
  7. 66217 Guest

Jan 30, 2006
    Can I defragment my Windows partition on my MB as if it was a normal PC?

I mean, would it not affect anything else of the OS X, or some other things?

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    this would not affect the Mac side of the HD at all.
  9. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Installing the updates is probably a good idea....

...not that it will actually make Windoze XPee any better.... :p :D :)