Windows XP USB Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by noel4r, Apr 12, 2006.

1. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hi all, I know this is a Mac Forum but I have a Windows XP question. I use a USB flash drive to transfer files from home to work. I formatted the drive using FAT32 system so both my Mac and my work PC can read them. Somehow, when I plug it in my work PC, it doesn't show up in "My Computer" but the computer sees it because it tells me that a USB device is connected. The port is definitely working as I plug other devices on it. Maybe the IT guys blocked it from showing. Any way I can work around this problem?
  2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    Did you format it on your Mac or PC? It shouldn't matter though. Try it on another USB port. Does Disk Management see it?
  3. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I do not believe that it should matter what you formatted the USB drive as. I use my 512MB SanDisk Cruzer Titanium on both of my Macs, the Macs at college, and on occasion, the PeeCees at college without any hitches. :)
  4. grockk macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    does it make the noise when you plug it in. should make a little bloop noise. if it does try installing tweakui and make sure there is a setting to show/hide drive letters.

also you can check if it shows up in disk manager by right clicking "my computer" and choosing "manage" then on the left side select "manage" and that should show all volumes connected.