***** windows

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by synthetickittie, Jan 30, 2003.

1. synthetickittie macrumors regular

XP is stable? ya my ASS it is!... Ive had it since it came out about 14 months ago I think it was. Since then Ive had to reboot about every 3-4 months. I understand I used constantly and under heavy apps but hell when I f^cking have to reboot its unexspected and I dam lose all my work, if every of you know what Im trying about you know how much of a bitch it is and how far behind you fall in your work. At the time being Im on my neighbors computer and my dam computer freezes every time I try to turn it on, so hell I would reboot it but I way to pissed off and Im just about to order a new g4 mac tonight but what am I gonna have to wait 4-6 weeks I think it is. All I have to say is if I go over 6 months without having to reboot Im gonna love my mac but I swear if its unstable and I end up losing work I may have to take a nutty on the thing. Please tell me I have nothing at all to worry about, taking in mind that I do run mutiple large program at once (normally photoshop, flash, and dreamweaver). I just want a computer that I dont have to worry about losing my work on when Im in the middle of a project and speed I dont need anything blazing fast (cant hurt tho) just need it to be decient.

2. jermsmingy macrumors regular

you don't need to worry!

As long as you have enough ram, you will not have to worry a single bit. It sounds like you need at least a gig of ram. Speed will be fine. I can't remember the last time that my imac had to be rebooted(except for installing new software. I don't think it has ever crashed in the entire year that I have had it.

3. synthetickittie thread starter macrumors regular

you only had to reboot when you go new software? by rebooting what I meant was taking the set up cds that came with computer and putting everything back to the way it is... I dont understand why you would do that when you are installing new stuff unless you meant just to restart your computer. If you meant you only had to restart it when you install new stuff, do you mean you've been able to keep on your computer on for that long? a year with only restarting after you installed something... sorry but as of right now Im on familiar with the windows world where if you leave it on for a hole day its dam slow the next day and you have to restart.

4. howard macrumors 68020

howard

yeah..."rebooting" means restarting your computer...reinstalling or reformating means installing your operating system or wiping your drive clean and reinstalling, respectively

5. synthetickittie thread starter macrumors regular

oops sorry bout that, thanks for correcting me tho..... but dam your telling me macs dont have to be restarts at least every day? They dont lose speed at all?

6. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

My computer currently has been on for 3 days straight. The only time I have to restart is when I install a software update that requires the computer to restart after the installation. Otherwise my computer stays on all the time, no matter what. The only problems I've ever had with OS X.2 is with my USB hard drive, which had terrible drivers, other than that I've never had it crash, ever.

Hopefully this helps. OS X.2 is extremely stable, more stable than I thought it would be on my old iBook. Congrats on your choice to switch, welcome to the mac, and enjoy.

7. Das macrumors regular

Did you buy a model computer (e.g. HP) or did you build it yourself? In my entire computer history, I have never needed to reinstall or anything. Could be a bad hard drive or another component if it keeps reinstalling (and by that I mean the thing won't turn on at all, not your shortcut to Netscape disappearing).

Overall, I like X.2, and like my PC I can leave it on for days with no system loss...until the California electric bill comes then I turn it off whenever possible =D

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I know quite a few people who have used 10.2 on there powermacs for 4+ months without restarting. They have even forgon software updates to avoid the need to restart.

I have never had to reinstall a system completely unless I installed a program that corrupted the system. I am currently dealing with that right now with my PowerMac. I installed Norton System Works a few months ago. Well it modifies the system kernel when it installs. Well I've had problems ever since. Nothing requiring me to restart but little things dont' always work the way there are supposed to. Well I'm going to reinstall my system because of this. I am currently backing everything up to DVD first though.

The really cool thing about OSX is that it doesn't matter how hard a program crashes it in no way effects any other program on the system even the finder itself. I've had the finder (the finder is the system browser as in windows) crash a few times an it doesn't even effect the running programs it just starts back up while you continue to work away.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In my 15 months of using OS X Full time, I've only been forced to restart 6 times, all due to me messing where I shouldn't me. I have run my TiBook for 6 weeks with out restarting, and the only reason I did, was because I was shutting it down to go flying. I've used and owned (But never Paid For, but still owned) every version of Windows since 3.0. And i have to say that OSX beats them all hands down and XP Beats them all at crapulence. I mean, really what a mirror of OS X, and unstable, At college where 85% of the people use XP, You are constantly hearing chord.wav (The primary error alert) almost constantly, and I persoally have had to reinstall 32 different machines (All Dells I might Add). Most of the people HATE Windows too, but they are afraid of Macs because they remember the day when at school they were running LCIIIs with 7.5.5, and Netscape crashed the computer all the time. They have no Idea that Macs have come a long way, or believe that the computer they remember had just been overworked and negelected.

Also, if you ever bey a PC (for gaming), I don't and won't, don't EVER buy from a Big name brand. Buy from a small OEM like TigerDirect, System Max, etc, because if you buy a Dell or an HP, when you have a system problem, you MUST reformat and reinstall the entire system, with no chance to backup, most of the time you don't even get a Windows CD.

Makes me feel good that Apple Trusts me with a real system CD and even gives me Developer's Tools. WTG APPLE!!!
    Sorry about the rant :) but Its all true, eh?

TEG

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

It is a problem with your system.

I am using a Dell at work with 512MB of RAM. Average memory image being used is around 640MB out of the 1GB page file. It is running NT 4.0, up time? 24 days, last uptime before my crash? another 30. I had a max uptime of 52 days before I had a crash.

So in other words, Windows can be VERY stable as long as the hardware is in good shape. I do expect however, that you will get a better uptime with the UNIX based MacOS.

My previous uptime record used to be on LINUX, which I had to reboot so I can play games! :p

11. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

HAHAHA, you think 52 days is stable? MY BSD server (the same os that the mac is running on basically) has been on since I came to school in august. Try that for uptime, measured in months ;-)

BEN

12. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I have a PC laptop, and I don't reboot every day and have my speed decrease. In fact I don't usually reboot for weeks and i have my computer on 24/7 (to run folding at home, a good cause ;)) and i have no problems whatsoever.

Reboot? Why reboot when I can force explorer.exe to quit, then run explorer.exe again? It does the same thing IMO as rebooting...just not clearing the RAM and such. And I've had no problems doing so.;)

As for my desktop, I haven't rebooted it in months...its stable enough that I just leave it on. It true that it's not running XP but Windows 95...but I find that every bit a stable.

I guess it all depends on 1. the quality of the hardware components, 2. the software you have (whether they're betaish or not), and 3. the windows drivers for your printer, scanner, etc.

I've been lucky to have two machines that satisfy all three :)

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Don't forget it also depends on how much you are using it and what you are using it for. The most important factor is the specific programs you are running. It could be that there are programs that on MS WIN that when they crash brings down the whole system unlie OSX.

14. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

if you check out macosxhints.com, there tips on how you can actually do the software updates and not restart the machine (although it is highly advisable that you do so after updating the prebinding). there are even ways to add and disable kernel extensions without rebooting the machine. as long as you have plenty of ram, don't use squirrely betaware, norton, or the finder's ftp access, you should never have a need to restart.

15. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Gotta chime in on this one. As far as reboot spans, etc...I have to hold the record for the shortest uptime ever for a Windows machine. I have a Compaq Evo N600C (junk) that I was furnished by work. Well, it's running Windows 2000 Professional (one of the "most stable" MSFT OS's) and I can't go more than three hours without locking, and having to reboot...every single day, mind you.

Now I know an awful lot about PC's, and there is nothing wrong with my machine. I think it is the VPN software we have to use. Whatever the case, it is a royal pain in the ass.

By the way. I have an iMac 800 in the mail as we speak. I can wait to sit at my Mac for 3 hours and one minute and continue to do stuff without any issues. :)

16. TonicAngel macrumors regular

lucky you pc users that are using xp that don't have to reboot.... the longest i've gone without rebooting is 4 days and thats because i could'nt stand the slowness anymore. My whole computer gets SUPER slow (you can't even run ie hardly) and you are forced to restart just for the sake of speed. I only have more month until I can get my ibook, and then that pc can die for all i care :D

Any premiere 6.5 users? Has your program just stopped working? I cannot get it to do anything when i try to drag a clip to the timeline. Its driving me insane, i have to reboot after it freezes each time as well :mad:

17. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

When I got my Gateway, and turned it on for the first time, it BSOD'd before Windows ever started, for the first or second time it was ever run.

I reformatted a few months ago, and tried to reinstall. 119 file copy errors. Then, every time I tried to boot, I got an error - "Could not find GDI.exe; please reinstall Windows." Nice error, huh? At least it was straight up.

Yesterday, I went for about an hour where, literally, it would BSOD every ten minutes. Had to use a nice program called GoBack, and revert my drive to about two days in the past to get it to stop. Stupid Windows Update. Always breaks everything.

18. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I've used windows and could NEVER get over 2 days uptime with windows xp. It gets slow and drives me nuts. My powermac has been up for 5 days now, and i wont restart it till 10.2.4 comes up. I lose no speed at all, at night i just put it to sleep, and with the instant on, its just like it was never turned off. Macs rock.

19. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

That is pretty cool. What are you running on your server? how much load does it have? :) I can say the same about my NT 4.0 server, but I only use it as a file server, print server and stuff. The reason I mention my specific machine is beause I am litterally maxing it out.

20. synthetickittie thread starter macrumors regular

The computer I have is a HP...

The thing dam freezes every single time is gets to the loading screen or what ever its called(it says windows xp in the middle and at the bottom is has a loading bar which realy isnt anything but a blocks that run constantly across it). And as I said I dont feel like going through reformating with the cd that came with the computer and then having to reinstall all my software. I'll probably have to do it anyway with the next few days because thier not shipping the 1.43 powermac for another month.

21. Das macrumors regular

Ugh, HP's value lines suck hard. Cheap mobos, second only to Gateway, which uses suck...,everything. Did you call HP's support line? Usually they do fix it (by fix I mean ship you a new one like my Jornada). I had an HP 1.2 athlon which worked fine until I ripped it apart and upgraded everything but the HD 2 years later.

Oh and why does everyone have a problem with rebooting? Mine boots starts from a cold start in 22 secs so it's not some laborious act.

22. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

From the viewpoint of a PC user:

For real (linux) uptimes check here:

http://counter.li.org/reports/uptimestats.php

My Windows 98 machine at work runs 24/7 due to our email setup. Usually I reboot on Mondays (memory leak) and let 'er run all week long. BSOD's can be weeks apart, or 15min apart. Ya never really know.

My laptop at home (Mandrake 9 on ThinkPad) usually stays up for 2-3 days at a time. I hate to leave it on for too long, being that laptops are not meant to be always on, and the "sleep" mode doesn't work quite right yet.

My g/f iBook has been up since she bought it... and her old iMac would stay up for 40-50 days at a time on average. Usually took a system update that wanted a reboot...

Of course my webserver has been up 31 days (power outage longer than UPS could deal with).

:rolleyes:

[/brag]