Windowshade X is a great stocking stuffer

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 22, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator

yellow

Staff Member

What the Fudge is this Koi? How did this make it in as a submission?

Newspaper also makes a great stocking stuffer.

3. macrumors 6502a

Randall

Ah. Nothing quite like the smell of fresh SPAM in the morning. :p

4. macrumors 65816

Seasought

Maybe it's because I'm a recent convert but I don't think I can say that's the case for me. Expose' is adequate without any extra nonsense cluttering up the place.

5. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is for long-term users... I got my first Mac with Panther, but I seem to remember that this feature was either a common add-on in late versions of pre-OS X MacOS or was a standard feature.

6. macrumors 65816

Seasought

Given your background would you agree with the quote above then? Just curious.

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No...I agree with you. I used WindowShade briefly, because I remembered the feature on old versions of MacOS, but I got rid of it after using it for a couple of days, and have since been using Exposé. Actually, I mostly got WindowShade (I think it was) because you could make any window transparent, and I thought it would be neat to make all of my windows transparent. :D Which, obviously, was amusing for about five minutes. :)

8. Moderator

yellow

Staff Member

Well, I can tell you this.. I've been supporting (more or less) the same Mac users for the past 11 years. We've all made the journey from System 7.1 to OS X and I only have 1 user who insists on Windowshade X. No one else ever cared. I don't think it's all that popular if you use the microcosm of my 200 users as an example.

This article is as stupid as the sumbmission and the thumbsuppage that got it posted.

:eek:

9. macrumors 65816

Seasought

Well that certainly provides perspective then.

10. Moderator

yellow

Staff Member

Personally, I don't know how he deals with it. Consistantly he'll have 20 or 30 windows open on his screen, all of them windowshaded down to the top toolbar. I can't ever find anything, it's just chaos to me.

11. macrumors 6502a

mdavey

I find WindowShade useful. I use the shade window feature to get to the window immediately under the top window and as an alternative to Cmd-H. However, its most useful feature is its ability to minimise windows to the backdrop rather than the dock.

I am somewhat miffed that I need a 3rd party app to shade windows, however (both KDE and Gnome desktops offer this feature as standard).

I agree with the comments about Expose - the usefulness of WindowShade is lessened now that Expose exists, but I can still find an occassional use for WindowShade. I guess it comes down to workflow - I expect any OS to adapt to my way of working rather than vice-versa.

My one wish for WindowShade? Allow me to drag minimised windows back and forth between dock and backdrop.

12. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

When I got my first OS X Mac in 2003, WindowShade was one of the first things I noticed was missing. I still use it to this day when I'm using OS 8 or 9, but I don't miss it enough to pay to bring it back.