WindowsMediaPlayer10:Mac???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xy14, Feb 4, 2005.

1. xy14 macrumors 6502

xy14

How would you like Microsoft to invade the last major remaining power against them and release a version of WMP that supports DRM, meaning Napster, buy.com, walmart, and MSN Music downloads would be compatible?

I personally support this not because I am against Apple, but if this happens, Apple will really have to compete instead of sliding by with a monopoly.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What in God's name are you talking about? Windows Media Player 10 DRM is a major security vulnerability by design. It cannot harm a Mac the way that it can potentially harm Windows, but still.... Look, if you love Windows so much, why don't you stick with it?

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Talk about flying off the handle. I agree that the availability of WMP10 ands it's DRM scheme on OS X, regardless of how insecure it is, would be a GOOD thing. It would give the consumer more choice and in the futute may help either keep iTMS prices from going up or even force them to lower prices. It will also help protect Apple from potential anti-monopoly charges in the future, if the iPod and iTunes keep suceeding the way they are.

You even say that WMP10 DRM would not be a security risk to Macs, so what's the big deal? Do you think that Windows users should not have iTunes? What do you think that would have done for the sucess of the iPod and iTMS? What about Office users? Should they get rid of Office because it's a Windows product? Heaven forbid that Mac users should have more compatibility options in the future, and maybe, gasp, grow market share!? I assume you're one of those elitists who want macs to stay at under 3% market penatration so that you can feel cool about having one. :rolleyes: Wake up and look around.. the Mini, the Shuffle, these are all signs that that world is coming to an end.

Rob

4. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

well, i'm getting increasingly pissed off with not being able to play WMV3 files, so this would be kinda cool.

Still, I try and limit the MS software I have on my mac.

With regards to music stores - most people that use a mac are happy with itunes/itms/ipod. it's nicely integrated. I cant see many mac users switching all of their music needs to Windows media player.

plus half of the music sites dont even work on safari/firefox because they install horrible activex things :/

/asif

5. andrewfee macrumors 6502

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downlo...inmp_osx.xml&secid=80&ssid=8&flgnosysreq=True

This will play those "WMV3" files. :)

Personally I want to see WMP10 mac, but not for its music store stuff, but it will hopefully bring some performance enhancements; WMP9 playback is awful on a mac. Videos play better on my 5+ yr old PC than they do on my 1.8GHz iMac G5

6. xy14 thread starter macrumors 6502

xy14

Thanks.

Wanna know what I was looking at the other day that made me laugh?

I somewhow went to a windows media player official blog thing and someone was asking why 10 was so much like 9, and the MS guy said because it only has an interface change and no new features. I will try to find a link to that site. it was hilarious.

7. xy14 thread starter macrumors 6502

xy14

Umm..

I can say 2 things.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm sure eventually they will have to, but you are misusing the term monopoly. Other stores could work on Macs, but they don't. It's more Microsoft's fault than Apple's, though they could just come up with their own DRM, as Real did. Also Windows only.

Plus, you're fogetting that PC users use iTunes more than any other service, probably even more than Mac users as far as shear numbers. So I doubt it would make a dent. We'd all like some choice (well most of us), but tell it to the other stores, and especially Microsoft. At least you can use iTunes on a PC or Mac.

But then, I guess that was your point. :p I just don't see it hurting iTunes at all.

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Apple could make a x86 version of OS X but they don't, but that didn't seem to affect the monopoly trial. I'm not misusing the term, iTMS has a virtual monopoly on digital music downloads for the Mac. I'm not complaining, as they are being good about it so far, but if there is no compition ever Apple could decide to raise the prices in order to actually profit on song sales, and if there was no other alternative then Mac users would be pretty much screwed.

The discussion here isn't iTMS being available to PC users, as they also have a variety of other options. The topic at hand is having WM10 available on OS X, thus opening up the door for other music vendors to sell to Mac users.

Rob

10. jonat8 macrumors regular

I think now Microsoft have built up this catalogue of online music stores using WMA, the logical option is to build DRM and support for these stores into the next WMP:mac release. I don't see that it would be doing any harm. If you want to use a WMA music store (perhaps because of your portable player) then you have that option. If you don't, then fine, keep using iTMS.

Personally I love iTMS and would always stick with it, but if you can't find a song you want on iTMS, that's it (more or less). At least if other music stores were around you could search them, and if you really wanted that track, download it.

It just seems like common sense to bring DRM to the new WMP. I can't really see it taking off on the Mac, but at least it's there.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wrong, you have no concept of the term monopoly. Apple dominates the electronic retail market of music for legal download. That is a fraction of all downloads and a much smaller fraction of all music available. The majority of downloads remain pirated music. Music downloads represent a minority of music in use. The majority is as it was, CD's.

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I hope Quicktime 7 is out for Windows. As people see how much better it is for scrubbing thru online content, it will eventually be the standard. I don't want to support Windows Media for music but I agree is should be possible to buy music from other stores using only your Mac.

13. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

It should be, every other verion before was

PC users that I know do prefer QuickTime to WMP for viewing videos anyway so hopefully with 7 having features like H.264 that should make QT more popular :)