Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Ooooooh.

That is a most decent selection of quality American beers that you seem to have to hand in your cellar. Along with the impressively named Pliny-the-Elder (I still love the name, and greatly admired the man - he is up there with Benjamin Franklin as one of the historical characters I rather like), I spy some
others from Founder's, and not just the luscious and extraordinarily impressive KBS.

May you hugely enjoy them!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Tonight, I craved a glass, or three, or wine.

I had a lovely glass (or two) of a Riesling from Alsace with dinner, and now am sipping a Grüner Veltliner, a Beerenauslese, from Austria.

happycadaver

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2012
Germany
I have 3 special beers from micro breweries (correct expression?) near Würzburg, Germany waiting for me. But i have to stay in the hospital for at least another 3 or 4 days. Damn.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have 3 special beers from micro breweries (correct expression?) near Würzburg, Germany waiting for me. But i have to stay in the hospital for at least another 3 or 4 days. Damn.

Good luck with your hospital stay and I hope whatever is troubling you is successfully treated.

And what, pray tell, are the beers that will welcome and greet you on your release from hospital?

Reactions: happycadaver

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Last night, I was at a very pleasant wine tasting/enjoying/drinking hosted by an academic friend in his lovely riverside apartment. A number of us had been invited and asked to bring along a wine that we each particularly liked, and be prepared to speak a little about it (where it was from, what grape it was made from, what made it special or why you liked it, and so on)…

Some very good wines (a lovely Gewurtztraminer from Marlborough, NZ, and a very good Cotes-du-Rhones were the best wines of the night, along with the superb white Burgundy from Meursault that I brought along); a lovely evening.

Tonight, for now, I am sipping a delightful dry white port from Niepoort.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Hm. Sounds delicious. I have never actually had the opportunity to sample that particular beverage, but understand it to be one of the really good Weissbiers?

Delicious and delightful. Refreshing even at 7.7% ABV. Actually it is reminiscent of bananas and clove. I'm very tempted to crack the other bottle I bought. ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Delicious and delightful. Refreshing even at 7.7% ABV. Actually it is reminiscent of bananas and clove. I'm very tempted to crack the other bottle I bought. ;)

Enjoy. Bananas and clove sound delicious. And 7.7% ABV strikes me as an unusually high ABV for a classical Weissbier - not that I am complaining…….

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Anyone a Bruery Society member? I just joined and am expecting my first shipment this week.

image.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks to a number of the august dwellers of this forum, and, above all, this thread, in recent months, I have become intimately acquainted with a number of the splendid products that hail from the Founder's stable.

Among those I have sampled are the superlative KBS, their excellent Stout, the very tasty Dirty Bastard, their first rate Old Curmudgeon and their invitingly named Dark Penance. I also have a few of their IPAs - the 'Centennial IPA' - sitting in my cellar.

However, the reason for my post is to ask whether anyone has any experience with their Imperial Stout, and above all, with their Backwoods Bastard - two beers which have intrigued me ever since I read their tasting notes and how the company (Founder's) described them on their website.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, Founder's won the battle for my heart and mind this evening.

A bottle of 'Dirty Bastard' proved to be excellent drinking…….and a bottle of Founder's KBS runs the risk of transporting you to the transports of sheer, unadulterated, uninhibited delight…..

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I have a few beers coming my way! Once they get here I will post some pictures!!!!!!!!!!! I have to say, I did have the following brews over the holiday weekend: (Yes that is the wife throwing up the \m/ sign lol. The back of one of the beers was pretty darn funny! And yes we were in Utah....

The Pelican Brewery Cream Ale is one of my favorites from that brewery. This was taken before the Utah trip.

Tomorrow we head down to San Diego for the start of the San Diego Comic Con which of course is also the third annual Stone Brewery Hop-Con 3.0 which we will be at! Going to be a great weekend!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    981.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    980.2 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    856.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Last night, with two very good friends in the wine bar owned by one, we sipped an excellent Ripasso, a very good Nebbiolo (it needed time to breathe but was superb by the time the bottle had been open for a while), an atrocious wine from Puglia I devoutly hope never to encounter again, and a first rate Rioja.

Two excellent cheese boards were demolished along with a platter of outstanding patȇ and fresh bread. And the talk was good, too (Greece, among other topics was explored in depth).

Reactions: mobilehaathi

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sipping a glass (a Belgian beer chalice glass, no less) of the powerful beer named 'Dark Penance' (where do they come up with these wonderful names?) by Founder's.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
I have a few beers coming my way! Once they get here I will post some pictures!!!!!!!!!!! I have to say, I did have the following brews over the holiday weekend: (Yes that is the wife throwing up the \m/ sign lol. The back of one of the beers was pretty darn funny! And yes we were in Utah....

The Pelican Brewery Cream Ale is one of my favorites from that brewery. This was taken before the Utah trip.

Tomorrow we head down to San Diego for the start of the San Diego Comic Con which of course is also the third annual Stone Brewery Hop-Con 3.0 which we will be at! Going to be a great weekend!

make sure you take a trip to the ballast point brewery here, they are on fire right now! the grapefruit sculpin is amazing!

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there

In San Diego be sure not to miss Modern Times!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Last night, we drank an excellent Portuguese wine, with a "Grande Reserva DOC' designation, from the Duoro region. The wine is called 'Bafarela' and is smooth, rich, and luscious on the palate.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Tonight, I discovered an aged - botrytis (noble rot) - aged Riesling lurking in a corner of the cellar. Once opened, it presented me with a quite unmistakable aromatic whiff of kerosene, or petrol, which those in the know assure me is a mark of a Riesling of exceedingly high quality.

This one was a gift, accompanied by a recommendation, from my friend in the wine shop.

Once the (unmistakable) scent of kerosene is dismissed, the wine itself is crisp, balanced, fruity and has depth.

I used to disdain the sort of wine writing where self indulgent pompous - and sometimes, self-important gentlemen used peculiar and, frankly, sometimes incredible and unlikely adjectives to describe the aromas for some wines.

But, recently, I have had 'kerosene' for Riesling, and an unpleasant something that veered between silage and washing up liquid for Sauternes………While I will still reserve judgement on some of the more precious and pompous of some who make their living from the wine trade, I will reluctantly concede that they are not all wrong all of the time.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
All my friends find me odd because I cannot stand IPA's (and that seems to be what everyone brews around here.) I am much more of a Hefe or Dopplebock kind of guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.