Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Initial impressions. A bit complex. Right when it hits the taste buds, instantly reminds me of Hoegaarden but that quickly goes away and then I get a nice delicate finish on the tongue. Best part, that long lasting bitter aftertaste. The smell is something to note as well. I can't exactly describe it, I want to say sweet. This is something I would definitely have again.

And, trust, me it is best drunk not too stunned from frigid immersion in the fridge…..especially in the winer months.High summer is seething else again, but few wish to drink such powerful brews in high summer….

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A bottle of French white wine.

The grape is Chardonnay, a grape which is abused in some New World offerings, but is crisp, balanced and disciplined here. The wine itself is called 'Saint Aubin' and is a Premier Cru, from a 'climate' (also village) called le Charmois in the region of Chassagne-Montrachet.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sipping a glass or two of Viognier wine, a lovely grape variety from France with an elegant, floral nose, and a crisp, subtle, and balanced palate. This had been recommended by a young French restauranteur as a wine to try, sip, sample and savour, and it is quite lovely.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Been a while. Hope everyone is doing well. Have slowed down a bit on the beer, well at least chasing the rare ones. But went to a cool even a couple weeks ago. Cigar city (Tampa) made a bet with three floyds (Chicago via Indiana) made a bet for the Stanley cup in the spring. Loser came to the others brewery and took over the taps. My Blackhawks won and two weeks ago I was lucky enough to score tickets. Cigar city did not disappoint. The ones with hole punches are ones I consumed. They also had about ~10 unique tacos that were fantastic. And finally they made a Baltic porter with quinine called "Florida man loses bet". I have not opened it yet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447534471.015217.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447534524.242656.jpg

And back to the rare beers. I was not fortunate enough to get tickets to bourbon county rare day yesterday. My friends made out well however. $60 face value a bottle. Currently trading like crazy. The original rare (aged in pappy van winkle barrels) was great, I expect this one (heaven hills barrels I believe) to live up to the hype. The price not so much. But that's beer these days.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447534719.237679.jpg

And lastly. Three floyds is calibrating their new bottling line. So they produced zombie dust in bombers. $3.25 and was bottled yesterday. Delicious.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447534784.936601.jpg

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I have a rather large list of Stouts and Porters that I tasted at a Beer Festival coming, but right now I am drinking a Stone Brewery Collaboration WootStout 3.0. This is freaking outstanding!!!

At my local total wine I picked up three six packs of Stone XoCocoa Stouts. I highly recommend this beer. If you like stouts and it has a hint of Mexico Chocolate that is freaking outstanding! I love this beer. Oh and I was able to snag a few of the elusive 6 and 8 of Trappistes Rochefort!!!! I can't wait to try the six!!!

Attachments

• 2015-11-19 17.05.33.jpg
    2015-11-19 17.05.33.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2015-11-18 17.15.07.jpg
    2015-11-18 17.15.07.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Been a while. Hope everyone is doing well. Have slowed down a bit on the beer, well at least chasing the rare ones. But went to a cool even a couple weeks ago. Cigar city (Tampa) made a bet with three floyds (Chicago via Indiana) made a bet for the Stanley cup in the spring. Loser came to the others brewery and took over the taps. My Blackhawks won and two weeks ago I was lucky enough to score tickets. Cigar city did not disappoint. The ones with hole punches are ones I consumed. They also had about ~10 unique tacos that were fantastic. And finally they made a Baltic porter with quinine called "Florida man loses bet". I have not opened it yet.

View attachment 599979

View attachment 599980

And back to the rare beers. I was not fortunate enough to get tickets to bourbon county rare day yesterday. My friends made out well however. $60 face value a bottle. Currently trading like crazy. The original rare (aged in pappy van winkle barrels) was great, I expect this one (heaven hills barrels I believe) to live up to the hype. The price not so much. But that's beer these days.

View attachment 599981

And lastly. Three floyds is calibrating their new bottling line. So they produced zombie dust in bombers. $3.25 and was bottled yesterday. Delicious.

View attachment 599982

Ok, that is just rubbing it in! I would love to get some of the Bourbon County Stouts!!!!!!!!!!! Any of them!!!! Man that is freaking awesome!!!

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Ok, that is just rubbing it in! I would love to get some of the Bourbon County Stouts!!!!!!!!!!! Any of them!!!! Man that is freaking awesome!!!

That woot stout is good stuff.

And for the bcs. I hope to get one rare. It's tough sitting next to 12 bottles that are not mine. But I am going to fobab (festival of barrel aged beers) this weekend. Should be able to try all the bcs variants if it's anything like past years.

http://www.illinoisbeer.com/events/fobab/

Plus they have a pretty cool competition that lends itself to some cool one offs.

From the website :

The #ICBG will continue the very rare beer competition, 'Barricale.' Barricale features barrel-aged beers from more than 20 Illinois craft breweries. Heaven Hills barrels are the variable this year, as brewers fill empties with the craft beer of their choice. Some beers have been sitting for as long as 3, 6 and 12 months. Come visit the ImBIBE Pouring Station at FoBAB this year and taste the different nuances of each Illinois hand-crafted barrel-aged beer. Talk to each brewer and find out exactly why they chose to work with the beers they did. This project is sponsored by Goose Island Brewing Co.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Well this picture got me excited for Saturday. This will probably be the busiest booth all night. I can't wait to see what the other 89 breweries brought.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447991221.686462.jpg

Reactions: rhett7660

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have a rather large list of Stouts and Porters that I tasted at a Beer Festival coming, but right now I am drinking a Stone Brewery Collaboration WootStout 3.0. This is freaking outstanding!!!

At my local total wine I picked up three six packs of Stone XoCocoa Stouts. I highly recommend this beer. If you like stouts and it has a hint of Mexico Chocolate that is freaking outstanding! I love this beer. Oh and I was able to snag a few of the elusive 6 and 8 of Trappistes Rochefort!!!! I can't wait to try the six!!!

The Trappist 8 is stronger (and darker) than the 6; I love both, but, to my mind, the Trappist 6 is a terrific sipping beer, and is one that also goes very well with food.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Here is what I got through at fobab before it was time to catch a cab home and order a pizza. Great event as long as you like barrel aged. The caliber of beers in one place is like nothing I have ever seen. And even if you don't like stouts/porters. The fruit and sour selections were world class as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448243445.727002.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448243463.516743.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448243598.735220.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448243615.809997.jpg

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Here was the list of beers I had at the Stone Brewery Pour it Black festival

The white Rascal was used to clean the palate! Lol

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    594.6 KB · Views: 112
  • image.png
    image.png
    497.5 KB · Views: 104
  • image.png
    image.png
    586.2 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 66

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Quite the list.

That prairie bomb packs a lot of flavor in that little bottle, right?

And how was the eclipse Evan Williams? I like to try those but the whole eclipse series is incredibly expensive.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Quite the list.

That prairie bomb packs a lot of flavor in that little bottle, right?

And how was the eclipse Evan Williams? I like to try those but the whole eclipse series is incredibly expensive.

The Evan Williams 23 was my favorite of the day. I was able to get it twice before they ran out. Everyone I talked to, that had tried it, loved it. It is really good, super smooth and it clocked in at almost 12% abv. The other one I really liked, was the Stone XoCoveza. Talked about a spiced up chocolate stout! Liked it so much I picked up three six packs of the 2015 version.

The other one that really stood out to me was the prairie bomb! Spiced up and full of flavor is right!!!!!! Had two of those also!

Over all I did not have a bad beer. Everyone of them I would pick up in a heart beat. Hopefully I am able to snag a bottle of the EV23. Man was it good!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The Evan Williams 23 was my favorite of the day. I was able to get it twice before they ran out. Everyone I talked to, that had tried it, loved it. It is really good, super smooth and it clocked in at almost 12% abv. The other one I really liked, was the Stone XoCoveza. Talked about a spiced up chocolate stout! Liked it so much I picked up three six packs of the 2015 version.

The other one that really stood out to me was the prairie bomb! Spiced up and full of flavor is right!!!!!! Had two of those also!

Over all I did not have a bad beer. Everyone of them I would pick up in a heart beat. Hopefully I am able to snag a bottle of the EV23. Man was it good!

Great series of posts about some wonderful sounding beers. It seems as though you enjoyed yourself a lot, and also had some terrific tasting experiences.

Reactions: rhett7660

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I want to give scotch a try. Could I please get a few suggestions on a respectable scotch for a starter?

Well, as with a number of others - wine, beer - there are a few questions you might need to think about first:

These include setting out roughly what your price range is, and also thinking about what your preferences are - blended, single malt, Irish or Scotch? Aged, and how aged?

For both cognac and whiskey/whisky, - and indeed port - personally, I prefer them aged. Very aged, for both whisky and cognac, as in not under 12 years old, preferably 14, and 17 or 20 is far better still. This is because the drink is far smoother, more like velvet, does not bite, and the flavours have had time to get to know one another and mature nicely together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.