WINE is being ported to Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ChrisH3677, Jan 26, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Hopefully these guys can help get Wine out of alpha stage. That's always been the biggest hurdle with Wine. Of course, SuSE is now bundling WineX with their Linux Wine Rack addition, so maybe that's a good sign as well.

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i agree... the potential is amazing. it would be wonderful to see something like this included in the OS. as was previously stated, hopefully they can pull this thing through!

4. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

i thought mol did this oh thats for Linux aint it sorry dont mind me lots of things been made to do all sorts of things..

VPC
    MOL
    WINE
    VMWARE

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Good news.

Also (a little) competition for Virtual PC.

It seems to run the apps without windows? Kinda like Red-box on OpenStep... :cool:

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I still think if MS can get VPC to directly access the hardware, it'd be phenomonial. Prolly not for game play, but at least to be able to access sites with flash (that won't work on the mac) without the sound skipping. Or to run DVD extras. Doubt this will be much faster than VPC is now since it hasn't had the time to mature.

7. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

It could well be faster, remember Wine doesn't actually run windows. It jsut runs the windows software, windows is a huge monster that takes up most of the resource of VPC which is why VPC is so slow.

8. Santiago macrumors regular

Even if it's ever done, it's not going to be anywhere close to fast. You still need to run an x86 emulator, which is a massive performance hit, as opposed to using WINE on an x86 system, where the code runs natively on the processor.

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

True.... but which is faster? With or without running Windows?