WINE, Rosetta, VPC and Macgames

Discussion in 'Games' started by The Lamprey, Jul 5, 2005.

1. The Lamprey macrumors newbie

With all the talk about Mac going to Intel, the state of Games development will change, Everyone is talking baout Using Rosetta, WINE , VPC, Dual Booting and other solutions.

Myself I think It would Help a lot is that a system can Dual Boot, But Also using a midlayer access API to Access various windows API's when using a Core System(OSX). This would be Much more useful than Running a Emulator or Virtual Machine. Just Make a Access API to Directly Access Components in other Systems When Called For(Yes, I know accessing Components in other partitions can pose a problem but the New midlayer API should solve this).

There have been rumors about OSX being able to run windows software through direct OS emulation from the OS system, but this was all hype and rumors at the time. But with the Move to Intel Chips and Being able to Dual Boot to these new machines there will be more better Code interaction than ever before. I hope some developer reads this and starts working on this. it should be a interesting task. and a big Bonus for us mac users.

Imagine using windows applications directly, no emulation at all, full compatibility and being able to play PC games without it being slow. And never having to load windows at all. just let OSX access windows Components directly with system calls.

Please post Comments...

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Don't get ahead of yourself.

Apple's top brass only said they won't STOP it from happening. This doesn't mean that it WILL happen. Big difference.

3. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Au contraire, I believe it quite categorically does. Look at the number of little system hacks that have been managed by things that Apple don't like, but don't actually go out of their way to prohibit.

• OS X Themes - Shapeshifter fixed this.
    • Non Apple-sanctioned CD/DVD burning from the Finder - Patchburn fixed this (though from my own experience, Tiger has removed this stupid limitation).
    • Ditto in iDVD 4 - a bizarre hack called HPFurz fixed this.
    • Copying files from your iPod - myriad solutions here.

Those are just four. Anyone who has installed Linux will be familiar with LILO style boot managers which give you the option to choose which OS you want to boot into after you've powered up. There's enough interest in the Windows on the Mac thing for something like this to be conjured up within the first weeks of the Intel Macs.

I'd call it a given that it will happen.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The dev kits can already boot Windows. The ONLY change that needs to be made is some kind of driver so that the Mac graphics cards work with Windows, otherwise no 3d games. But Windows installs and boots fine.

5. ja0912 macrumors member

Won't they just use the same video cards at that point?

6. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Correct, the GPUs will have PC EEPROMS on them.

7. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

how hard would it be for apple to make osx use those pc eeproms

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The dev kit had an integrated graphics chip and Windows for some reason didn't recognize it. Doesn't say anything about the actual cards you'll stick in.